cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
31 23 2 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Support Assistant under Windows 8.1

Downloaded the latest HPSA without error, but got the "stopped working" message when trying to run the software.  Re-downloaded and installed the software with no change.  Attempted to uninstall the software, but got a 1316 error on the HPSA msi file and the uninstall failed.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Retired
Retired
18,630 17,373 953 2,193
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Larry1895,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP Notebook and error HPSF not working correctly. Here is a link to troubleshoot the HP Support Assistant. The first link deals with the error, please note after each step please restart the computer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Intern
Intern
31 23 2 1
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The link you provided covered all of the steps I had already taken to install and/or reinstall the latest HPSA version  , and to attempt to uninstall the 7.0.39.15 version.  Windows Programs and Feature still shows the old version with a load date of July 2013.  The 1316 error message on the attempted uninstall is apparently generated by windows\installer\e261.msi.  Any further suggestions?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
18,630 17,373 953 2,193
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey Larry 1895,

The link also provide a solution for when you are getting the errors on uninstalling. Did you disable your virus protection malware and firewalls. Then try to uninstall. You can check the Windows installer by clicking  the Windows icon, type services in the Search box, and then click or tap View Local Services. Scroll down to the Windows Installer. Startup type should be - Automatic, and Service Status should be - started
Restart the computer after this step and try installing again.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
31 23 2 1
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Turned off the Norton firewall and anti-virus, but uninstall failed with the same code.  Checked the Installer service which showed Running, but in Manual startup rather than Automatic.  Stopped the service, entered Automatic as a start parameter and restarted the service, but the Startup Type remained Manual, and the uninstall still failed.  Restarting the computer between steps made no difference.  Tried the re-install again with no apparent error, but the executable remained the same older version.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
18,630 17,373 953 2,193
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Larry1895,

You will have to reload your Windows. If you cant change the settings the OS has an issue and needs to be reloaded.

Have you tried the factory restore option by tapping the F11 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen, which should launch the factory restore menu?

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
31 23 2 1
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I'm not sure, since the laptop was purchased with Windows 8 and upgraded to 8.1, what a Factory Restore would do.  Any ideas other than reloading the OS.  With my connection speed, that will be a two day affair, and I need to cross my fingers that I don't drop a packet or two, or the connection.

Thanks for your continued help,

Larry

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
18,630 17,373 953 2,193
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey Larry1895,

A factory restore would take the computer back to purchase date and the files that are corrupt would be restored as well.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
31 23 2 1
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

It sounds like the factory restore will put me back to Window 8.0 and I would need to re-download and reload 8.1.  To further complicate? things, I created a Recovery Disk set and deleted the Recovery data sets from the HDD.  Is my above supposition 8.1 back to 8.0 correct?  What about loaded applications and data?  And if I restore from the Recovery Disks, where (out of the six disks) do I start?  Would I be better buying 8.1 disk from Microsoft?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Intern
Intern
31 23 2 1
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Downloaded and executed an Uninstall Fixit from Microsoft (MicrosoftFixit.ProgramInstallUninstall.MATSKB.Run) which allowed me to uninstall the previous version of HPSA.  I was then able to download and install the latest version.

Thanks of your help

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation