Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 2 (244 Views)

HP Support (Software & Driver download center) lists a new Win8.1 BIOS update. But....

[ Edited ]
Product Name: J1S57EA#ABD
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

... there is no option to download & install a new BIOS via HP Support Assistant, it does not even mention it. I'm a bit unsure if to proceed now - heard that wrong BIOS updates can be fatal. On the mentioned website (see link below) there is no new BIOS mentioned for Win10 either only for Win 8.1.

My current BIOS version is: F.34

Recommended on HP website (see link below) is: F.42

My product version according to seller is: HP Envy 15-K086ng 0714CZ IP

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-15-k000-notebook-pc/6936206/model/7146286#Z7...

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Intel Core i7-4510U @2.00Ghz

BIOS: F.34

228D 77.35

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M (10.18.13.5362)

######

Why does neither Windows Updates nor HP Support Assistant nor Intel Updater mention this new BIOS? Should I just stick to the old version? Everything runs fine on Win10 except for a few shutdown issues. On 8.1 I had no issues whatsoever with the F.34 version.

Thanks for the advice:)

0 Kudos
Dean
Message 2 of 2 (199 Views)

Re: HP Support (Software & Driver download center) lists a new Win8.1 BIOS update. But....

Hi,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

If your BIOS is not updated yet (due to the process being stuck), personally, I'd recommend you not to update BIOS.

General recommendation I provide to users/customers is NOT to upgrade BIOS/UEFI unless they experience any kind of specific BIOS/UEFI issue. Updating just for updaing and just for using the latest verson is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who relesed it) can fix 2 issues but may introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Same applies for Windows Updates, OS update, drivers updates, etc - upgrade/update IF you have issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible.

* You can say Thanks or give me LIKE with the Thumb Up+ button (+1)
* Please, use the button to accept this post as a solution if my comment helped

IT_WinSec : I am not employed by HP Inc. I am a volunteer and I express personal opinion only. I work in IT and cyber security
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation