cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
GreatWhiteNorth Tutor
Tutor
16 12 0 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Total Care Advisor Stops Working - Windows Error Message

Every time I try to start the HP Total Care Advisor (TCA) v. 1.4.19.2433 I get a Microsoft Windows error on my HP Pavilion dv6835ca Entertainment notebook with the following details:

Description:

HP Advisor has stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:           CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01:          hpadvisor.exe

Problem Signature 02:          1.4.19.2433

Problem Signature 03:          47017e65

Problem Signature 04:          mscorlib

Problem Signature 05:          2.0.0.0

Problem Signature 06:          4a9ee532

Problem Signature 07:          12a7

Problem Signature 08:          14

Problem Signature 09:           System.IO.FileLoadException

OS Version:                              6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID:                                 4105

The Windows Event Viewer also logs an application error with the following details:

Source:                                    SideBySide

Event ID:                                  33

Description:                            Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\

HP Advisor\SecurityStatusServer.dll". Dependent Assembly

Microsoft.VC90.CRT, processorArchitecture="x86",

publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b", type="win32",

version="9.0.30729.4148" could not be found. Please use

sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

I searched the Internet for information about this SideBySide error and the consensus seems to be that the problem is caused by a missing (or incompatible) Microsoft C++ runtime file (see http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=33&eventno=5021&source=SideBySide&phase=1 and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235624.aspx ).  This seems plausible since the problem with HP TCA started about the same time that Windows Update installed update KB973923 on my notebook on 02-Aug-2009 (Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Package 1 Redistributable Package).

Does anyone have a suggestion about how to fix this problem?  HP Customer Support hasn’t been much help.  They sent me links to update to HP Active Support Library v. 3.1.10.1 and HP Help and Support for Microsoft Vista v. 2.1.0.0.0 (not helpful since I already have newer versions of both these utilities installed) and suggested if the updates didn’t work that I should perform a complete System Recovery  (which seems pretty drastic just to see if this gets HP TCA working again).

I asked HP Customer Support for a download link to the latest version of HP Advisor that will run on a Pavilion dv6835ca but that request has been ignored.  I found a download for HP Advisor v. 3.1.9289.3128 (SP45384.exe) for a Pavilion dv3t-2000 CTO at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-75893-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&... but I have no idea if this the latest upgrade or if installing it could affect my other HP utilities such as HP Battery Check, etc. that seem to be working fine at the moment.

Here’s some info about my other software:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit (v. 6.0.6002, fully updated)

Norton Internet Security 2010 v. 17.1.0.19
  HP BIOS WinFlash v. F.59
  HP Update v. 5.002.001.004
  HP Help and Support v. 2.1.2.0. A
  HP Active Support Library v. 3.1.10.2

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
LADYHAWK0412 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My Total Care Advisor has stopped working as of today 12-17-11.  Has anybody found any solutions.  I have Windows 7.  The only thing it says is "Error Occured" and I can't access anything, not even the "Problem Solver."  Go figure.  Please let me know if there is a solution.  Thank you very much.  ~sherry~

0 Kudos
schleiv Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem it will not start or any portion of the HP security features?

Any help in the forums here?

If not where should we go???

VL

0 Kudos
reginafrances Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This morning I received the message; C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HP Advisor.exe.  How do I repair this error?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation