Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
swetadutta12 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Wireless Assistant driver exe throwing up error code 2753

I recently installed Windows XP Home SP3 on my Compaq Pressario C783TU. When i tried to install the HP Wireless Assistant driver (sp36770.exe) it failed throwing up an error code 2753.

Also i am unable to find a drivers for the 'Ethernet Controller' and 'Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus'.

Please suggest the solution.

Thanks

7 REPLIES
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4365 443 727
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

http://saysprasad.wordpress.com/2008/07/11/compaq-presario-c783tu-drivers-for-windows-xp/

Dv6-7000 Debian Stretch
HP ProBook 640 G1 Hackintosh High Sierra/Debian Stretch
HP Touchpad provided by HP

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
0 Kudos
swetadutta12 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was able to install the driver but the status shows WLAN disabled. I am unable to trace this driver under the Windows-> Device Manager to enable it.

Please suggest.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4365 443 727
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You have to turn on your wireless card. Don't trace drivers, trace how to turn on the wifi adapter. It might be a manual switch or some key on the keyboard.

Dv6-7000 Debian Stretch

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
0 Kudos
colhoon Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So thanks to HP Health Check .. I now have no wireless assistant. I did a scan, it reported a new wireless assistant was available. Health Check downloaded and extracted it, new software complained it could not continue as the old software had to be removed on 'add remove programs' in control panel.

So with some trepidation I uninstalled my wireless assistant, the update promptly disappeared from health check WITHOUT INSTALLING.

Manually google and find the HP wireless assistant .. error 2753 .. so just what is that error maning ? How do I fix it and how does a company like HP allow such an annoying and frustrating update procedure to exist.

Under prerequisites for the update, it was not mentioned that a uninstall of the running software would be required, I would have thought that is a prerequisite.

How about some info on why I need to update the wireless assistant, I probably did not need to update at all.

Thanks HP. not

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4365 443 727
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have uninstalled all unnecessary software except Wireless Assistant. You actually don't need it. Windows is able to connect to the internet itself using its aplications. My advice is to uninstall all advisors, support assistants and stuff like this and then try this..

http://www.ehow.com/how_5047270_fix-internal-error.html

Dv6-7000 Debian Stretch

0 Kudos
colhoon Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, seriously. But just for the record, it still failed though.

Ran the recomended fix in an admin command window, took about 30 seconds to report the succeeded message, tried the installer again, same problem. Ran the fix again as suggested (much quicker this time)  and the installer still failed :)

Glad to know its not needed, looks like its not going back in there anyway.

Great work HP :)

I thought it may be neccesary to service the wifi function switch, which is probably more of a pain than anything else anyway, i hit it with my thumb when moving the laptop at times.

I also spent a few hours last night updating windows till I got sick of it, java and all the odds and sods. Might be time to revisit my dual boot to ubuntu I think,

windows is really being a slug now. 10 minutes to boot instead of the normal 2, maybe its still installing things, who knows, I'm just a frustrated user why do I need that info .. Just got yet another message that my windows needs updating, Only 10 updates tonight .. must be a record. Go microsoft :)

0 Kudos
23tdick Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

as an aside,I also bought an hp printer when my compaq died, got a fatl error on install. Again, no answers from HP. Finally a tech said the HP4500 will NOT work on XP; gotta have win 7!!! But the box says it will work on XP. I am embarrased for HP and embarassed that I trusted the brandname.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation