cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Provost Provost
Provost
41,441 38,140 3,339 14,003
Message 11 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Wireless Assistant not working

fozzy_ozborn wrote:

How difficult is it to format the Hard Drive?

And  how does one reformat w/ a preloaded system?

Formatting hdd is done using HP Recovery Manager or by booting from your Recovery set if you made it(also using Recovery Manager).

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
dresq1027 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 12 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is not difficult at all to format any harddrive.  I do it about 8 times a month (don't ask, I get really bored).  I use the ultimate boot CD (www.ultimatebootcd.com).  It has harddrive wiping tools that are phenominal.  I then install Vista (I am using Vista Ultimate, downloaded from [link removed].  Total process takes me about 6 hours, so bring a book with you.

My laptop is a Pavilion DV9310us.  After calling HP, I learned the warranty ran out in April, 2009 (I called in Dec. 09, and was PISSED).  Then I learned the warranty is an automatic 2-year extended warranty from the date your laptop was purchased (April 2007 is when I bought mine).  HP wanted to sell me a PCI wireless card and I told them to stuff it.

Now, here's where I'm at.  After doing the above, the blue light came on sometimes.  I even updated my BIOS, and it did nothing.  Usually, I was good for 3 reboots, then it would go out (I rebooted cautiously).  Now, for some reason, it doesn't work at all.  I'm thinking nazcar4u may be on to something about the windows updates.  But I did read others didn't do that and have had luck, so who knows.  If anyone has any input on this issue, I am all ears.  I told HP the same thing others have posted here...I bought this for portability, not to have extra cords and antennas hanging out of it.

Thanks for the help so far and I continue to try new things.  I'm beginning to get bored again, so maybe another format is warranted...lol.

0 Kudos
peteydw Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 13 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After 3 years with a dv2000 laptop running Vista, I suddenly am having this same problem. Downloading new drivers/BIOS does not work (and I have to download to a flash drive using another computer since the laptop has no internet capability now!). I guess I finally have a good excuse to buy a MacBook!

0 Kudos
dresq1027 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 14 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!  Listen up fellas cause I found the solution.  I found another topic with a solution where someone learned the real problem was a hardware issue.  The issue found was that the graphics card was overheating causing the soldering joints to melt.  Since solder melts at 400 degrees, I didn't believe this because the plastic would melt first.  But out of bordem, I took mine apart.  When I removed the keyboard, there was a burn mark.  When I looked further, a capacitor had exploded and melted.  I have photos if anyone wants to see them (email me at dresq1027@verizon.net), I will email the photos to you directly. 

Now, does anyone know where I can find the schematics or parts placement for the HP motherboards?  I am an electronics technician, and even I cannot find them.  They must be top secret, CIA type of documents or somthing.

Any further help with this is greatly appreciated now that I know more of what the issue is.  And the BIOS update is HP's way of covering their butts...it makes the fan run faster to keep it cooler.  All those that try this, good luck.  If anyone wants photos, email me, and I'll forward them to you ASAP.

Thanks!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
41,441 38,140 3,339 14,003
Message 15 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The issue of overheating graphics card causing solder joints to melt ,causing video failure  is well documented.There are many videos on YouTube showing how to reflow HP,Dell and IBM laptops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgTbkTK2iwk

Not sure how that affects the wireless..but some models seem to have either one or the other failure,and sometimes both.Wireless failure is sometimes followed by graphics failure, both seem heat related.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
mshuaib1983 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 16 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp wireless is not working and iam showing disable how i can enable.

please give me reply as soon as possible.

thank you

mohammad shuaib

0 Kudos
dresq1027 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 17 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Open control panel, then wireless assistant and turn on wireless. 

0 Kudos
turbopuss Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 1
Message 18 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just figured this out a few minutes ago after eight months of fooling around with everything and buying a linksys network adapter. you don't need any of that. if you know how to get to your device manager just go there and under the action menu click on add legacy hardware. when that opens click on next and then on search for and install the hardware automatically. when it says select the hardware category go down the list until you find network adapters and click on it and click next. when the next list comes up click on microsoft and under the list that shows up for that click microsoft ISATAP adapter and then next and then click next to install and bam internet LOL. that is after it is done installing and you restart your computer. mine had not been working for eight months until i did this i phoned hp yesterday to get a quote on the price. the told me $300 dollars THREE HUNDRED. and i did it for zero. I am sixteen years old and live in Saskatchewan. hope it helps guys i just restarted my computer 5 times and the blue light has came on every time and hp wireless assistant has worked every time. 🙂

0 Kudos
turbopuss Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 1
Message 19 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just figured this out a few minutes ago after eight months of fooling around with everything and buying a linksys network adapter. you don't need any of that. if you know how to get to your device manager just go there and under the action menu click on add legacy hardware. when that opens click on next and then on search for and install the hardware automatically. when it says select the hardware category go down the list until you find network adapters and click on it and click next. when the next list comes up click on microsoft and under the list that shows up for that click microsoft ISATAP adapter and then next and then click next to install and bam internet LOL. that is after it is done installing and you restart your computer. mine had not been working for eight months until i did this i phoned hp yesterday to get a quote on the price. the told me $300 dollars THREE HUNDRED. and i did it for zero. I am sixteen years old and live in Saskatchewan. hope it helps guys i just restarted my computer 5 times and the blue light has came on every time and hp wireless assistant has worked every time. :smileyhappy:

cbramesh Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 20 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MHD-666 wrote:

I have a HP Presario F500, and the wireless assistant is not working. It used to work perfectly, but now it doesn't.

When I flick the switch on the front of my laptop to turn it on, the light remains amber. When I go into the control panel and double click HP Wireless Assistant, nothing happens. When I go into device manager, WLAN doesn't come up. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it many times, but nothing's worked.

What can I do?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation