cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 28 240
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

HP ZBook Docking station update - August 8 2016

HP Recommended
Zbook G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Today's the day!

The BIOS's have been tested and set for release! (That's good!)

But they will not be available in a Softpaq form until next week. (That's bad.)

But I have a copy of them and have put them on an FTP site for all of my friends! (That's good!)

But the yougert is also cursed. (Can I go now?)

Below is an updated list of key drivers, et al. (Items in Green are new.)

You must have all of these updated drivers as well as this new BIOS to making things as "sunshiny and rainbows" as possible.  (Remebmer to always use the Softpaq Download Manager to ensure everything is up to date.)

Component NameCategory on Product Support Page on hp.comSoftpaq #Version
BIOS - Zbook 15/17(BIOS) 1.10
BIOS - Zbook Studio(BIOS) 1.13
Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect Software(Driver - Controller)sp7614315.3.40.275
Intel® Thunderbolt™ Firmware Update Utility(Firmware)SP7493516.1.7.0.6 - It will still show up as .3 in the TB software. This is being fixed.
Intel Graphics Driver(Driver - Graphics)SP7598420.19.15.4444
NVIDIA Graphics Driver(Driver - Graphics - Nvidia)sp76601356.49
ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller Driver(Driver - Chipset)SP76277 1.16.35.1
ASMedia ASM1042A Firmware Update(Driver - Firmware)SP76208 131025.10.11.23
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Controller Driver(Driver - Network)sp7602617.2.0.2
Conexant Audio USB Driver (called HP Dock Audio in Device Manager)(Driver - Audio)SP741461.31.36.14
Conexant USB Audio Driver for Docks(Driver - Audio)sp74876 1.31.36.14

IMPORTANT!

Now, before I post the link, there is something that need to be done with this BIOS once it's installed.

There is a new setting in BIOS Boot Options: USB Ports Enabled Preboot. This must be unchecked to correct Enumeration Issue and this only  affects the ports on the dock. In other words, the USB ports are disabled in a Pro OS environment*. Any keyboards or mice will not function at that time. However! They will work when the OS loads... even at the login screen. They will not work in BIOS though.

*This only effects the dock ports, not the USB ports on the unit itself.

The new offical BIOS's are here.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure everyone knows how to do this, but just in case:

To install these, get a USB key and makde the following folder structure:

• X:\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\NEW (Where X is the drive letter assigned to the key at that time.)

Take the .bin file you need for your system and copy it to the "NEW" folder.

• Boot into the BIOS via F10 at boot up with the USB key with the .BIN
  • On the main BIOS page, select "Update System BIOS".
    Scroll down and select "Update BIOS using Local Media".

The system will then look on the key for the bin file. If the wrong one has been placed on the key, it will report that there is no file to update with so there are no worries about applying a BIOS that was not meant for your system.

Once it's the unit has done it's reboot and beepy beepy dance, ensure that the USB Ports Enabled Preboot is unchecked as per the instrucitons above.

If you have any issues, please PM me. 

-----

EDIT:

• Updated BIOS versions
  • Updated USB Audio driver for the dock
  • Updated nVidia driver.
  • Added ASMedia firmware update for the dock.
I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 3
38 37 1 10
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now to just get preboot USB support (I realize this may be as much an Intel/MS issue as anything), and we might just see a unicorn start dancing spontaneously across our screens at bootup!  

So far, so good on my system with 1.09 and all of the other updates running - about 12 hours and several reboots into it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8
Author
Level 8
579 567 28 240
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1.12 is good to go. Had a hiccup in final release testing, but it was a red herring.

I am an HP Employee
-----
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
15 14 0 4
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have two docking stations, one at home and one in the office. Followed the instructions at home and everything went well. Today in the office, the USB ports in the docking station were not working after updating the firmware. I searched for the docking station support page and found out a new version of the firmware, 16.1.7.0.8, and I updated the firmware to see if that would work. Now, the USB ports of the docking station at work are recognized, Windows 10 tries to install them, but they dissappear before finished. This happens once per minute, which makes the whole thing unmanageable. The docking station at work has become a simple Display connector... Definitely frustrating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8
Author
Level 8
579 567 28 240
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

• Updated BIOS versions
    • Adds additional enumberation stability and ability to enable and disable spesific ports. (HDD, SSD, USB, et al.)
  • Updated USB Audio driver for the dock
  • Updated nVidia driver.
  • Added ASMedia firmware update for the dock.
    • Fixes issue with wireless USD devices on the dock
I am an HP Employee
-----
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
69 63 1 18
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Broadcom 17.2.0.2 is not the latest, this is newer:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=8693767&swItemId=ob_167287_1&swEnvOid=406...

The Conexant Audio USB Driver version doesn't add up, SP74146 = 1.31.36.13 (source: ftp://ftp.hp.com/%2F/pub/softpaq/sp74001-74500/sp74146.html)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
38 37 1 10
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, one of those updated items (just applied BIOS, dock Firmware, and NVidia update this morning) now has my wired keyboard and my mouse flaking out.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
38 37 1 10
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This has become brutal.  I've gone from everything working correctly with very few issues (an occasional rare disconnect on my mouse or keyboard) to a consistent complete dropping of my wired keyboard about every ten minutes where I have to go to device manager and make it do a "scan for hardware changes" to get it to recognize again, and noticeable stuttering in my wired mouse about every minute or so.

Has anyone else noticed a degradation of function/performance after updating to these latest firmware and BIOS?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
38 37 1 10
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK - scratch that on the keyboard coming back on with a device manager "Scan for hardware changes."  Looks like it was dumb luck that that worked once.  Now I'm just stuck waiting for it to decide that the keyboard is attached again.

Any way to be able to roll-back the dock firmware?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
38 37 1 10
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Figured I'd add one more update for the day.

I had a second docking station here at work that had not been updated to the latest FW.  I swapped it for the one that had been updated, but continued to experience the keyboard and mouse issues.

Then, I did a rollback on the BIOS to 1.09 (I'm on a Z17 G3 w/ Xeon proc).  While on 1.09 with the dock that has the older FW, I did not experience any issues wiht keyboard or mouse over a period of about two hours.

I have now swapped out that dock with one that has been updated to the latest FW (my BIOS remains at 1.09), but am heading home for the day.  I will test tomorrow in this configuration to see if I encounter any issues.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation