Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
galvalopez Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP df840 Digital Picture Frame

I am using an HP df840 Digital Frame with a 4GB SanDisk Cruzer USB host and the frame does not display all of the pictures from the thumb drive (displays the first 300).

Does anyone have any comments on the issue?

Help will be appreciated.

Thanks

13 REPLIES
willyaam Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

santa brought me one and I have the same problem- some pictures show and others don't so I have quit fighting it and am returning it to the store- obviously no one at HP bothered to check that it works which is unfortunate but we have no control over such things

0 Kudos
dwsfbay Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought it yesterday, should have researched first it was not planned, looks nice but I'm reading bad things and the instruction manual has zero detail on how the various mem cards fit in that slot, I don't want to ruin my loaded card by installing it wrong, plus I read things about it 'hanging' and not in the picture frame sense!

Well we'll see how it goes, maybe just leave a USB in it instead.

0 Kudos
dwsfbay Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Plus all I can find on HP.com is info on the DF820. HP has really slid from the old days, too bad but I guess that's being a commercial success.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
lidsavr Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We also had the same problem, however, I found an answer to the problem. Here it is:

I do not understand how, but there is a difference between .jpg file that are scanned and those that are taken by a digital camera. (YES, it's true!). I found this out in another picture frame manual that addressed the problem. All of the pictures on my unit had been scanned in, and the pictures from my camera worked great. What I needed to do to correct the problem is I took each of my pictures that were not working and saved them using a photo editing program into a tiff (.tif) format. Then I resaved the .tif file as a .jpg (jpeg). After that, the pictures worked! Go ahead and try it with one picture - - -

Now, here is the kicker to the problem. Not all photo editor's fix the problem. I tried using Paint.Net which is a great photo editing program (and free too), but the .jpgs still did not work. So then I tried the same thing using Microsoft Picture Editor and it worked fine. I have also used ACDSee successfully. I am sure there are many more programs that work, so if the reformatting of the pictures from .jpg to .tif and back to .jpg does not work, try another program! There are many free open license photo editors available on the web.

Last, this is not an HP problem!  It is problem with the .jpg standard (which is not as standard as I once thought). I had the same problem on a another company's picture frame and that is what led me to try the HP photo frame. It was then I found the problem (and fix) in online manual original manual.

Best of Luck to all concerned!

Charles

0 Kudos
dforsyth Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had this problem and searched the web for answers.  I finally found MY solution.  It turned out it was NOT due to the FAT16 file limitation on number of root directory files (which I thought would solve my problem as I had placed all the files in the root directory, but not 512 of them), but that the picture FOLLOWING the picture it stopped on was corrupted.  Once I discovered that corrupted jpg file and replaced it, the frame cycles through all my pictures, residing on a usb thumb drive.

HOWEVER, I have a problem with display order.  Although the manual says there are Save Date, Filename and Shuffle options, only Save Date and Shuffle are actually present on the tools menu, and Save Date must NOT mean filedate of the file.  I cannot get the files to show chronologically, and I have tried many things.  Help would be appreciated on this

0 Kudos
dforsyth Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is some more information on display order, what I've found.

My manual says there are 3 display order choices (date saved, filename, shuffle).  It does NOT have FILENAME in the software, I wish it did as it would solve my problem, as my cameral numbers pictures sequentially of course.

Date saved MUST NOT BE the date shown by Windows Explore, but must be the date (and supposedly time) when the file is placed on the thumb drive (or card).  Although a message here says copying files individually does not work, it DID FOR ME.  I deleted all pictures from my drive, defragmented it, then placed pictures on it in a directory one at a time.  They display that way.

When one copies multiple files at once, Windows does not always copy the files in the order you expect, which is why I copied one at a time.

I made an error, so deleted some files, then placed the files on the drive in the order I really wanted.  The result was they displayed in the proper order, BUT THE FIRST SLIDE IT STARTS WITH UPON STARTUP CHANGED so my 'picture show' starts at some spot in the middle, but since it loops endlessly that's satisfactory; I don't plan to do it all over again immediately.

I think this sucks, and makes it less friendly and useful than it could be, but at least it is a solution.  (Having FILENAME available, as the manual says, would be an even better solution).

0 Kudos
JDLR46 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I couldn't get the picture frame to do a slideshow using pictures I had on my USB drive, and the lack of documentation is unbelievable.

Anyhow, I was having a problem getting the frame to pull pictures that I have on my 1GB Kingston USB thumb drive. I had about 475MB of pictures (all JPEG's) on there but the frame kept saying NO PHOTOS or something along that line.

After numerous attempts at getting this to work I was just getting ready to throw in the towel. Then I stumbled upon what worked for me. Once again, this worked for ME. I have no idea if it will work for you but if you want to try it please go ahead. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR PICTURES ON THAT USB DRIVE AS IT WILL BE FORMATTED AND LOSE EVERYTHING ON THERE.

1. I copied all of the pictures off of my Kingston USB drive and onto a folder I just created on my laptops C-drive.

2. I formatted the Kingston USB drive to FAT32. For those of you who don't know how to format just click the START button then either COMPUTER or MY COMPUTER then RIGHT-CLICK on that USB drive and select FORMAT. A box will pop up, in the FILE SYSTEM section click the dropdown and change it to FAT32 and to make things easy on yourself put a checkmark in the QUICK FORMAT box and select START. It should only take a second or two to finish.

3. Copy all of the pictures back to the USB drive that you saved from step 1. ***NOTE, I had to select all of the pictures then copy/paste them in one big copy. It didn't work if I copied a couple at a time, I HAD to do them ALL AT ONE TIME.

4. This is where it gets even crazier, after you have the pictures back on the USB drive make sure the frame is ON then plug it into the USB slot on the back.

5. Make sure that the picture frame recognizes that the USB device is attached. You'll know that the frame recognizes it because you can scroll to where it says USB under the PHOTOS section. If at this point you try to do the slideshow it will say NO PHOTOS but relax.

6. Turn the frame off then back on again and the slideshow should just start automatically.

That is how I got mine to work. You may be having a different issue than I had but this definately worked for me.

Don't forget to backup those pictures PRIOR to formatting or you are going to lose everything.

Good Luck is all I can say, it's a nice frame with a nice picture but the documentation is awful.

0 Kudos
1massey1 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your post. I pulled up paint, dragged my pic. to it then saved as jpeg on my SD card. Did one pic. at a time. All pics. work on my frame now.

0 Kudos
myframenowork Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

sdfkjcn

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation