Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
8 0 24
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP dv4-1225dx "Hard Disk Error" 3F1 on startup with eSATA HDD attached

The whole internet is void of information on this specific error code, so here it is, lo and behold, the ONLY English-language Google result for this error message:

Hard Disk Error

Please run the Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics.

Error code:

Hard Disk 1 (3F1)

F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, please visit: (illegible due to colored text)

Specifically, the "Hard Disk 1 (3F1)" part, that's nowhere to be found online. Tons of pages about 3F0, apparently the primary hard disk. No, this is an error regarding the secondary hard disk, attached via eSATA.

Problem is, there's NOTHING wrong with the attached drive, other than this error on startup. No SMART failures. Comes up and works fine in Windows. Scanned 100% OK. It'd be nice if there were a way to bypass this error automatically, but I always have to hit F2, then Esc to abort its forced diagnostic routine.

It's a WD My Book Studio, 750gb, attached via eSATA. Doesn't happen if I leave it unplugged during startup... but SATA is a connection that likes to be present on startup. The system, as in the title, is a dv4-1225dx laptop, running Windows Home Server (Server 2003), but previously running Windows 7 Home Premium. Vista is evil.

It's also my home server, as of about yesterday (when I set it up and started getting this message). The system seems to crash pretty routinely over the past few days and every time it reboots, it hangs at that stupid "Hard Disk Error" message. Not a pretty sight when I'm away from home and want to access something, like my email. Is there a way around this message hanging the system?

edit: Not to mention the world's most buggy fan-control algorithm, worst heatpipe design on the planet, no AHCI mode control, and terrible system management (battery went dead on you at 40%? tough... remove battery to continue using your computer). LOOOOTS of bugs in this terrible BIOS.

18 REPLIES
Dean
Dean
12391 582 1536
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Almost any hard disk error code during a test means the drive is defective and needs replaced. I would back up your data and prepare of a hard disk replacement.

Here is the error code table for HP, scroll down the page

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01443317

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
8 0 24
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the link, it helps clarify that there's a difference between "3F1" and "301" - hard disk error and SMART error. In other words, it's reporting a generic "Error", not even that the drive may be/is failing.

In this case, the drive isn't failing, at all. It's a BIOS bug.

I put the drive on an ExpressCard eSATA controller, and it works fine. Unfortunately, since I'm the only one using this sort of configuration and getting this error, I imagine there won't be any work done to fix the bug :(

0 Kudos
Edoardo2210 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, im just having the same error on my laptop, its a compaq cq40-324la, it started to show the error after i updated the BIOS version, the hard drive is a Western Digital SATA 5400rpm 120gb
How it went for you? could u fix it? its ur hard drive ok after all this time?

i will appreciate any kind of information.

thanks

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
8 0 24
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yep, it's still working fine... got sick of the message and the poor eSATA implementation on this PC, so I just used an ExpressCard eSATA adapter and all is well. Turns out this problem seems to be occurring more and more, I was directed this way by someone on another forum who Googled and found my topic here... small internet!

Definitely a BIOS bug. Wish there was someone to report this stuff to...

0 Kudos
prilink Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there! I.m having the exact same problem, could you help me please i don.t understand much of what you did there with your drive. I took my computer to many computer services here but neither of them could help me, and can undertand english either...

please help me

thankss 

0 Kudos
Zeezicht Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have exactely the same problem... It's on a HP Pavilion DV7-4191eb XE 365EA#UUG. Sata 300 disk 1TB TOSHIBA MK1059GSM. Hard Disk tests are OK and SMART info = OK = GOOG. What can I do ???? Pls help. Many thanks and greetings
0 Kudos
Louise3634 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had this problem 1 year after purchasing my HP Pavilion dv-7. Took it back to Harvey Norman within warranty and they replaced the hard drive. 1year on, I now have the same problem again. It is now out of warranty and I am seriously cranky. Will not buy HP again.

0 Kudos
Zeezicht Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On the DV7 laptop the "problem" now signals me Smart info = Reallocated Sector Count problems ..

Same problem on a DV7 laptop of a friend of mine. This laptop was only 6 month.. There the dealer replaced the HD. It are always Toshiba MK1059GSM 1 TB disks. It seems to me that there is a serious problem with the internal HP Laptop disks ...

My DV7 laptop is 1 jear and 8 month ...I will try to make a full Image of this disk and then go to my dealer. Unfortunately he cannot replace this disk but have to return the laptop to HP.  Pfffff.This will take a lot of time (estimated 2 a 3 weeks) ... without any replacement laptop ...HP .... ????

0 Kudos
redsox13spj Tutor
Tutor
10 0 0
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue on my DV6. I replaced the LCD and upon the subsequent startup, and every startup since, I have been receiving the hard disk error, same error code 3F1. It passes all the diagnostic tests using the BIOS, but continues to give the hard disk error after exiting BIOS. I have replaced the hard drive with one I know to be good and it behaves the same way, code 3f1 on startup and passes all diagnostic tests. Is this a bios error? Has anyone had this error and found a solution when the hard drive wasn't the issue.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation