cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Bronn
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP envy m6: Thermal overheating problems worsened after Win 8.1 update

HP Recommended

Hi,

My 1-year-old HP laptop (detailed specs below) frequently overheats and performs a thermal shutdown. The problem has slowly gotten worse, but the last straw was installing Windows 8.1.

Overheat happens during gaming, with rather moderate loading (cpu usage ~ 40-50 % of maximum, RAM usage 20-30 %). Before installing Win 8.1, the computer lasted this loading 25-40 minutes, which is fairly poor performance. However with Win 8.1 installation, this loading is only lasted for five minutes until the system crashes. According to Windows Update and HP Support Assistant, all drivers and software are up-to-date. I have also reinstalled Graphics card to be sure. Technical specifications:

HP Envy m6-1254EO notebook pc, 64-bit, Windows 8.1
Amd a10-4600 with radeon hd graphics, 2.3 GHz
8 GB ram

What to do? In its current state, the machine is pretty much worthless, which is terrible performance considering that it is just 1 year old, and was of considerable price premium compared to lower-class notebooks at the time of buying. All suggestions, which are more constructive than "stop gaming", are welcome.   

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
SuperMario1
Retired
Retired
5,085 6,034 326 1,048
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Bronn,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the computer has an overheating issue. Since the issue was still present before upgrading to Windows 8.1, I would ensure you have attempted everything in this document: Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating

If these steps do not help, I would contact HP phone support to get the product serviced. You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: Contact HP Worldwide

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Bronn
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried some tricks to reduce heat inside the machine in the past, and I have some tricks yet to implement. However, since the problem got so much worse after installing win 8.1 I'd be inclided to assume the problem is in software rather than hardware (or at least the latest part of it), and that is what needs to be fixed first. Is there any way of being absolutely certain that I have right versions of right drivers and that there are no conflicting installations etc? I tried to use HP website's driver finder but I could not locate any envy m6 machines from the search. Could you point me the right link?

BR, Bronn

0 Kudos
Jon2525
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You didn't buy a gaming laptop, you bought a notebook. 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation