Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
robwats83 Top Student
Top Student
4 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP laptop blue-screen issues

Hi, I am having a bad blue-screen issue with my hp dv6-1245dx laptop.  I am crashing to a blue screen at very random times, starting with one occurence a few months ago, followed by two months with no problems, then a few crashes in a row three weeks ago, followed by three weeks of good use.  In the last three days the occurences are pretty much every 10 to 20 mintues, at random, and they require a few minutes of waiting before it will crank back up again.  (  If I don't wait this short time, it will crank but it throws a black error screen saying "No operating system found" ) I fear it is some failing hardware issue, like the HD about to give out.  I have run the Image Diag.exe from the first post on this forum, and have that log cab file available.  I also have an image of the blue screen ( it is the same each time, the error is a STOP: 0x000000F4).  Please advise.

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES
robwats83 Top Student
Top Student
4 0 1
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

If I need to post that log file, How do I post it here?  I tried, its over 100000 characters.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3544 221 566
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey @robwats83 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

It looks like you've got some serious BSOD issues on your dv6 notebook. I'll do my best to help you with that.

I don't really need to see your log file for this. 

The 0x000000F4 BSOD error is one of three things:

1. The HDD is going bad (most likely cause).

2. Operating system files are corrupted (critical services are being stopped).

3. Drivers are corrupted.

The most important piece of information I can give you right now is to back up anything important as soon as possible. Chances are, if the HDD is not the issue we will most likely need to reinstall Windows for a large amount of BSOD issues.

First:

Check the HDD for errors using the HP UEFI tools. You can see how to do this here: Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 8) or Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista).

Second:

Test your PC in safe mode to see if it still crashes. You can see how to boot into safe mode here: Start your computer in safe mode (Windows 7) or Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode) Windows 8 and 8.1.

If safe mode works it would indicate a software issue or advanced driver feature causing the issue. You can try using a clean boot of Windows by disabling the startup items and and non-Microsoft services. If this also works, start enabling the services and startup items one at a time or in chunks to determine which service or item is causing the issue.

If safe mode also presents the issue, it could still be basic drivers or the Windows operating system.

Third:

You can use Driver Verifier to determine which driver is causing the issue. Driver Verifier stresses your drivers to encourage crashing to point out problem drivers. 

Make a restore point before attempting any of this so you can easily roll back if something happens: 

1. Press Windows Key + X.
  2. Click System.
  3. Click System Protection on the left.
  4. Click Create.
  5. Give the restore point a name. (Something like Pre-Driver Verifier Backup or something you will recognize easily.)
  6. Click Create.
  7. When it's done making the point click Close.

You can see a great guide on how to use this tool here: Using Driver Verifier to fix a Blue Screen of Death. After locating the faulty driver update with the download from the HP website here: HP Pavilion dv6-1245dx Entertainment Notebook PC Drivers.

Fourth:

Reinstall Windows. Yup. It sucks, I know. 

If you have Windows 8 you can do a system refresh. A refresh will reinstall Windows and Windows Apps purchased or installed from the Windows Store, and will not delete your personal files. The refresh will uninstall any programs that did not come with your PC except purchases and downloads from the Windows Store. You can see how to do this here: How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC.

If you have Windows 7 you're not quite as lucky. A full system recovery is needed and will remove everything from the HDD and reinstall Windows to the original factory condition. To do a system recovery tap F11 while the notebook turns on and select the System Recovery option.

Let me know if this helps! Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Tags (1)
robwats83 Top Student
Top Student
4 0 1
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Firstly, thank you for your timely response.

Also, I should mention that the day after my original post, the BSOD issues went away and have yet to retun, so, go figure.  Thought I should mention it. 

I have backed up all my important data.

I started your instructions with step one, and got these results:

IMG_20140930_183513240_HDR-002.jpg

The computer restarted without incident after the test...any thoughts?  Shold I continue following the steps, or is this conclusive proof that the BSOD is definetly caused by a failing HD?  ( If so, why is it running fine right this moment? )

Thanks again for all your help.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3544 221 566
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey robwats83,

If the test fails the drive needs to be replaced. There are bad sectors on the drive which can cause a crash at any random moment. 

The fact the PC is working now only tells you that a good amount of the sectors are in a decent condition but again, this could crash completely at any moment and you want to be prepared for this. It's kind of like a small paint chip on a car. It looks alright at first but it gets out of control fast.

You've got your info backed up which is great, most people don't get that opportunity before a crash. Replacing the drive right now isn't really necessary but should be done ASAP, so you aren't in the middle of something when it finally dies.

Hope this helps! :)

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Highlighted
Muhammed34 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Good Idea 

0 Kudos
Catadam Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

My screen is bald black the other half works. I have tried everything but nothing has worked.
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
7692 420 572
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@Catadam,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that you are facing black screen issues with your HP Laptop.

In order to assist you better, please let us know the model number of the unit and the operating system installed on the computer from the links below: 

1. Finding Your HP Product Model Number

2. Windows Operating System or Mac Operating System 

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the Accept as Solution button, Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation