cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
EchoFoxtrotXray
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP laptop does not want to install Windows on SSD

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv7 1035eo (MY2008
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

All right guys, let's see if we can fix this. Got an old HP Pavilion dv7 1035eo from 2008. Just bought a Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB and now Windows 7 64bit doesn't want to install.

It says: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

I've tried upgrading the BIOS to the latest version but there is no way to enable AHCI in this BIOS. The BIOS options are extremely limited on this computer. The BIOS doesn't find this harddisk. The computer has two harddisk slots, when I run Windows on the original harddisk I can find the new one once I'm in Windows. But I'd like to run Windows off the SSD.

I've also tried with tools to transfer my Windows installation to the SSD but at startup the computer complains that there is no bootable device detected...

Is this doable or am I stuck in the water with a hardware issue?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,342
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @EchoFoxtrotXray,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you want to install Windows on SSD. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

HP has locked a few settings on your computer which are being managed by the system configuration as the device is configured to its optimal performance.

There's no way of resetting or changing these locked settings via HP articles or assistance,

I'm after this is not possible on your computer. I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  Got an old HP Pavilion dv7 1035eo from 2008.

> Just bought a Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB and now Windows 7 64bit doesn't want to install.

> It says: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk.

From: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv7-1000-entertainment-notebook-pc-seri...

it seems that your computer was originally shipped with either Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Tell us a little more about the Installation Media that you are using.

Is it the original media?

If so, this software might require that the capacity of the "target" disk-drive exceed some "minimum" size.

In your case, it's possible that your 120GB SSD is "too small".

> I've also tried with tools to transfer my Windows installation to the SSD

Depending on what tools you have used, that should have worked.

Did your "tool" need to "shrink" one of the partitions, to make the partitions from the "larger" disk-drive "fit" onto the SSD?

> but at startup the computer complains that there is no bootable device detected.

Does this message come from the motherboard, immediately after finishing the POST (Power On Self Tests) procedure, or later, when trying to read from the SSD to start the "boot" process?

Check your BIOS SETUP settings, to be sure that the SSD is "detected", and that it is listed in the "bootable devices" section.  Or, when powering-on the computer, look for a message like "press <blah> to select boot device", and select the SSD.

If the error-message occurs "later", then with the SSD connected, boot from the Windows 7 Installation Media, and choose "repair".

It will look at the (small) "boot" partition, and the (large) partition, and try to make repairs.

0 Kudos
EchoFoxtrotXray
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for all the replies, I've chosen to return the harddsik and sold the computer.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation