cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
peerally
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP laptop dv5-2134us getting errors 03F0 & 0601

Computer won't recognize its internal hard drive to boot from anymore, before that, we were getting bad battery messages, which is the 0601 error.

the 03F0 is a problem with the hard drive, I removed the hard drive and plugged in some adapters and connected it to another computer as an external hard drive, and the computer recognized it as a device and installed drivers to run it but it won't appear in "My Computer" for me to open it and save the files on it, so I'm guessing the HD is probably ruined.

ANy help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Level 10
5,461 5,367 360 988
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey peerally,

You should run the diagnostic test on your main battery. You can do this through the HP Support Assistant or the BIOS. If there is an issue with the main battery then you should recieve a message through either the diagnostic in BIOS or HP Support Assistant with a warranty replacement number.

If a problem exists with the BIOS (CMOS 0601 error) battery then you will have already noted that the date and time will not stay set.
If your notebook will not charge the battery, then either the main battery or the power adapter has failed.

Also, Let's test the hard drive through the BIOS. Follow this document. http://goo.gl/nB2XD

Any error messages let me know.

THX 🙂
peerally
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks, confirmed battery is done for.  I removed the hard drive and plugged it in as an external using some SATA adapters and it is recognized as a device and drivers get installed for it but it won't appear as a hard drive for me to access the files.

I believe the motor on it may have failed since it doesn't spin up.

I have ordered a new HD and battery, but without an operating system to throw on it, I wonder if the better option is to just buy a new laptop, since Windows 7 or 8 software runs a few hundred bucks.

0 Kudos
Level 10
5,461 5,367 360 988
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yes, that would probably be the best option unless you already have the upgrade promotion to windows 8.

If you didn't then yes, the best option would to purchase a new laptop with 8. You would save money in the long run from buying parts and then buying Windows 8 separate.

Did you run that test ? If so did anything fail ?

THX buddy!

peerally
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

can't perform the test since the laptop won't recognize the HD, goes to a message, "No bootable device..."

Thanks for the help though.

0 Kudos
Level 10
5,461 5,367 360 988
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

OK, well if you need anything else let me know.

THX

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation