Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15 f009w
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I've had problems with a shut down issue on my laptop and the problem still persists even after I updated the bios as reccommended.

i've checked the system task manager and it turns out that a few of my programs are using up a lot of memory/making the CPU and disk run higher which i believe is the reason for the shut down issue but I don't know which processes I should disable or if disabling the processes, if it will fix my shut down issue. 

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the laptop only shuts down a few minutes after the first bootup after hours of not being used. Turning it on again after that, the laptop runs normally but the initial shut down without warning is concerning and I'm afraid that if this issue persists, the problem will fry my system enitirely. I've scanned for virus' and fixed any performance issues my laptop might be having with Norton but the shut down issue is still there despite this.

What can I do to fix this? Will restoring the laptop to factory settings fix the issue? will killing process that take up too much memory fix the excessive usage and what processes can I safely kill without harming my laptop in the process? Would it be safer to restore my laptop to an earlier setting?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
Hi,

Tap away F2 key as soon as you power on laptop, do extensive system testing

Let it finish, it'll take some time.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

will that help to diagnose what's wrong with my laptop? o:

HP Recommended

We can rule out any hardware failures.

Keep laptop plugged in to AC power during the testing.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.