Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
W6T28PA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

each night i fully charged my  LAPTOP but when i turns on each morning it shows the battery has 95% charge and then i charge it using my ac adapter and charges up to 100%.Is my battery is faulty?although it gives me full 3 hours back up after fully charged.Note that hp support assistance battery checher option says your battery is ok  i am very confused about the problem and pls help me to survive.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Ranithrajan85,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the laptop's battery is discharging while it's in a shutdown state and you need assistance in resolving this concern, I have a few suggestions for you,

Let's start with updating the BIOS and the Chipset drivers to the latest version using the Official HP website for drivers and downloads: Click here to find it. 

Run a battery test using F2 (during restart), if the test failed: 

Check with an alternate battery. 

If the test passes and yet, the issue persists: 

Within BIOS there's an option that provides energy to the Type-C USB port even when the notebook is turned off. 

Hence, I recommend you disable this feature to fix the battery drain.  

Please find the details listed below: 

• Press the power button and then tap the F2 key to invoke the start-up menu. 

• Choose and click on the F10 key to invoke the BIOS. 

• Use the System Configuration tab. Disable USB Charging  and press the F10 key to save the changes and boot into Windows. 

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestions.

I am not getting below option

• Use the System Configuration tab. Disable USB Charging  and press the F10 key to save the changes and boot into Windows. 

Please help

@Jeet_singh wrote:

Hi @Ranithrajan85,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the laptop's battery is discharging while it's in a shutdown state and you need assistance in resolving this concern, I have a few suggestions for you,

Let's start with updating the BIOS and the Chipset drivers to the latest version using the Official HP website for drivers and downloads: Click here to find it. 

Within BIOS there's an option that provides energy to the Type-C USB port even when the notebook is turned off. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Ranithrajan85,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I would suggest you first try to perform a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, the keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

Now try to check if you are able to boot the PC to the desktop, if so, please try to update the Bios and Chipset drivers from the support website. 

Next thing, try to access F2 and then run the test on the battery.

If for some reason you are not able to boot the computer to the desktop and not able to boot to F2 or F10, I would recommend you follow the steps suggested in the support document for - Computer does not start

Please perform the steps suggested and get back to us with the results for further assistance. 

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Jeet Singh,

I tried the option but no luck. Still not getting battery check option.

For your information this laptop is dual boot. I installed windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04

Regards,

Ranjith

@Jeet_singh wrote:

Hi @Ranithrajan85,

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

HP Recommended

@Ranithrajan85

Hi,

as @Jeet_singh is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Were you able to update the BIOS on your laptop successfully? If not then please update it through this link.

NOTE: The ac adapter is connected during the BIOS update.

Secondly, you may once again try to run the hardware test on the battery using the following steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the Battery - The Battery Test checks your system to make sure that the battery is functioning properly. It tests the battery and allows you to run calibration if needed. The Battery Check test time is 2 minutes. Battery Calibration time is 2 to 4 hours. To run the battery test and for battery information, follow the steps in Battery Test.

I hope this does the trick. Keep me posted. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

why do you keep suggesting to consumers all of these checks when you and HP know very well what the issue is. Why have a new consumer go through all of what you posted for something that is a design flaw. I am on my fouth different Spectre model and same thing. Full charge at night, turn off and next morning 94 percent in less then 15 minutes.

So it kills me as I browse throught all the posts with questions about this issue just to see the same redundant and worthless answer. It just isnt right. Someone should really start a class action suit against HP for their ignorance in at least admitting for now it is a issue and for now no resolution. Heck, be honest about it.

HP Recommended

Hi @trjam1257,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from the post that you are having charging issues on your HP notebook. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the Product number and Operating system installed on the PC? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...) http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Have you tried to update the drivers?

Did this happen after an update/upgrade to Windows 10?

In the meantime, let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, the keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

Removing the battery

Remove the base enclosure.

Disconnect the battery cable from its connector on the system board.

Using a Phillips-head screwdriver, remove the two screws that secure the battery to the top cover.

Lift the battery off of the alignment pins on the top cover and remove.

Replacing the battery

Place the battery onto the alignment pins on the top cover.

Using a Phillips-head screwdriver, replace the two screws that secure the battery to the top cover.

Connect the battery cable into its connector on the system board.

Replace the base enclosure.

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello MKazi ,

still same. not getting battery check option..

I lost my hope. i dont think HP will be able to solve my issue.its my faith

Thanks for all your suggestion..

Regards,

Ranjith

HP Recommended

Hi @Ranithrajan85,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you are still having issues with the battery, don't worry as I have a few steps which should help you resolve this issue.

I would suggest please update the BIOS and Chipset drivers on your PC and check if it helps.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Once you have installed HPSA, I would suggest you run the test on the battery from itself. I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.