Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have HP Pavilion dv6 laptop and I am a web developer. I have maximum user of function keys F1-F12, so all the time I need to press "fn" key + "Function Key(F1-F12)". This is making me boring. If I press just function key(F1-F12), it functions HP's predefined multimedia tasks like increase volume, mute, etc.

So is there any way to disable "fn" key and I can use it vice a versa. I want all function keys(F1-F12) to perform their actual tasks like F1 for Help, F5 for page refresh, etc like a normal keyboard. And if I want to use them as multimedia keys, then I can use them with "fn" key.

Please help.

Thanks.

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I am using HP pavilion DV6 laptop. From last few days, my 'fn' key is not working. Due to this i cant able to use the 'print sc' and all other 'multi media' keys. I have tried to check the 'Action keys mode' in BIOS. But 'Action keys mode' itself is not available in the BIOS - System configuration tab. Kindly help me to enable the 'fn' key. 

HP Recommended

How do I disable the fn key on my Pavillion dv4?

HP Recommended

F10 does not seem to open the system configuration box!

I was so happy to have found this solution for what I think was the most irritating "feature" of the pavilion dv6 keyboard!

Also why does it talk about pressing the power key first... the computer has to be on to do anything, doesn't it? 

What am I missing?

HP Recommended

@RajiGodbole wrote:

F10 does not seem to open the system configuration box!

I was so happy to have found this solution for what I think was the most irritating "feature" of the pavilion dv6 keyboard!

Also why does it talk about pressing the power key first... the computer has to be on to do anything, doesn't it? 

What am I missing?

Try this, with it powered down, hold the F10 key down and hit the power button, continue to hol;d F10 until the notebook powers up and the bios loads.

HP Recommended

Tried that too. Bios does not boot up.

Noticed that while booting it flashes to press esc. Did that, which asked F10 for BIOS! Bingo.. however, once there did not find the same screen as shown in the link. Did not find the enable / disable option.

In addition, "help" advises that BIOS should never be touched by non-advanced users and that it is risky!

(I am frustrated with HP and I would like them to tell me why

- HP diverted from standards for the keyboard?

- Why did HP not have a simple method for changing this common keyboard function?

- Do I have to live with this until I change the computer?)

Raji

HP Recommended

The f12 key shows the light on and all me emails are now in a tiny font. HOW do I turn the key off-I must have accidently turned it on.

HP Recommended

@RajiGodbole wrote:

Tried that too. Bios does not boot up.

Noticed that while booting it flashes to press esc. Did that, which asked F10 for BIOS! Bingo.. however, once there did not find the same screen as shown in the link. Did not find the enable / disable option.

In addition, "help" advises that BIOS should never be touched by non-advanced users and that it is risky!

(I am frustrated with HP and I would like them to tell me why

- HP diverted from standards for the keyboard?

- Why did HP not have a simple method for changing this common keyboard function?

- Do I have to live with this until I change the computer?)

Raji

HP

Please urgently send us a sane, configurable solution to set the function keys back to normal.

It was nice to think of configuring them for media player, but not nice to assume that everyone would love the decision. Especially when there is no easy alternative to go back to standard.

Many thanks in advance,

Raji

HP Recommended

we totally join in raji's and the others' requests expressed in this thread. This change from standard should be well highlighted for customers. 

I reiterate the request: how to switch back to standard F-keys permanently? including the "ins" key! one is supposed to press fn to have the ins key working!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.