cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
fixmyhp Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP should be responsible for the issue caused by BIOS upgrading

Hi guys,

Let me tell you what you I did on my dv6812nr and what I found.

I download the sp42853.exe from HP's website and did the BIOS upgrading.

It looked like everything was OK and the notebook was shut down.

When I turned on the machine after a while, guess what, it was dead.

It can not go to the BIOS any more.

To figure out the issue, I disassembled the hard-drive and put it on my desktop to read the log file.

Here is something interesting you want to know,

DataSize : b0000
         Skip block 10 since it is write protected. 

DataSize : a0000
         Skip block 9 since it is write protected.

DataSize : 10000
         Block index : 0 Block Size : 10000
         Erase Block 0 ...     Erase Block 0, ok!
         program Block 0 ...
         offset : 0 Size : 1000     Retry Count = 1

program Block 0, ok!

Restarting system...
        Shutting down the computer...

What's wrong with the WinFlash designers?

How could they decide to shut down and restart the computer with two blocks unable to be programmed?

How could HP post such kind of software for customers to download to damage their computers and then ask $300 dollars for fixing?

Based on my 20 years embedded software developing experience, let me tell you what they should do in this case.

Do not shut down the computer, try to rewrite the old BIOS back and warring customer do not upgrade again!

HP is totally responsible for the damage in this case.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Dean
Dean
13,038 12,218 582 1,542
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Certain blocks are write protected for a reason, a bios update does not write the entire bios block again, only certain parts of it. I don't see a problem in the log.

No, all PC and motherboard manufacturers state that updating th bios is hazardous and you accept all responsibility when doing it.

Have you tried a hard reset of the bios?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443371

fixmyhp Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Mumbodog for your information.

I totally understand the hazardous of the bios updating. That's why we customers have to assure that the updating process will not be interrupted. That's why we have to close all other applications, have a fully charged battery etc. We always have to keep our finger crossed during the updating until it finished. When it finished, like in my case I saw everything was fine before it shut down and it said completed in the log file. Then we are not responsible for any fauilre.

The BIOS has 1G bytes, it is divided into 16 blocks when we do the updating. Can you imagine that the BIOS works when you just write part of blockes? In my case, there are two contiguous blocks were reportted with write protection. That means, there are 128K bytes garbage in the BIOS. What it may happen when the code run into the garbage? It crash. The result is unpredictable.

Again, the WinFlash has to write the old BIOS back before it shut down the computer to keep the computer works in this case.

BTW, the first thing I have done is hard reset. I have even done the RAM reset. Theoretically, it's not going to work.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
103,587 97,619 15,163 23,339
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Sorry to read about your failed BIOS flash.

You did disable your antivirus protection before attempting the Windows based BIOS flash?

You didn't use a windows XP-based flash if your PC was running Windows 7?

If you didn't disable your antivirus program or flashed the BIOS in W7 with an XP based flash, that would be the probable cause of the failure.

If the antivirus program is running when a flash is attempted, it will in most circumstances, 'think' a virus is attacking the BIOS, and it will attempt to intterupt or stop the flash. If the flash is interrupted then when you restart your PC = dead. Same as if you disconnected the power during the flashing process.

Some folks flash the BIOS with the windows based flash in safe mode.

Others won't touch it and use the DOS-based flash if they are available.

Paul

0 Kudos
fixmyhp Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Pjtikkanen,Thank you for your repleying.

No, I used right version of flash without antivirus exist.

The point is the WinFlash successfully wrote 14 blocks out of 16.

It found that two other blocks were writting protected.

In that case, how could it shutdown the computer?

Definitely, the computer will be damaged if it does that.

It should write the old BIOS back to avoid to damage it.

0 Kudos
petergibons Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If the computer is under warranty then I believe all manufacturers should replace the pc. A BIOS update should ONLY be completed when advised by the manufacturer to resolve a certain problem. BIOS updates aren't  like updating sound drivers or any other driver and should be done only when advised to do so, and not because there is an update available.

Intern
Intern
92 92 0 9
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Those blocks are write protected for a reason as the other poster mentioned. The BIOS corruption is more than likely related to improper mapping of the code addresses during the BIOS update.

Those write protected blocks cannot be overwritten as the customer will end up losing vital model and UUID information that is critical to be retained for identification purposes as well as serial number.

If HP won't help you, there are 3rd party professional BIOS repair facilities such as www.aqstech.com

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation