Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 2 (664 Views)

HP solution ctr says HP6500 is not configured for network, but setup page on printer says it is

I have an HP6500. I set it up for DHCP, gave it a reservation, and it gets an IP every time. I installed the software, and it printed  that day. SInce then, it shows up as offline. Yet I can ping it !  So I set up a printer manually, and used the Standard TCPIP setup, and I can print to that printer most days. But using the Web printing just does not work. I have added port 427 and 9100 and 9220 and 9500 to the firewall (inbound and outbound) and it didnt help. The solution center tells me the printer is not set up for networking. THe network setup page printed from the front panel shows the printer as Ready, Wired, and it has an IP. Yet, I cannot connect to that printer. If i select the IP printer I set up, it usually works. But I cannot contact the printer to scan or fax unless I am USB connected. (I connected the USB and install the SW again). I can scan from the software on the laptop when USB connected, but not network connected. On the front panel, it says my home computer name and I can select it but it wont scan from the Printer panel either. It says no computer is setup for scanning.

I hate this sotware!!!  the printer works fine, but the software to maintain contact over the network or to scan, fax or do any front panel scan to pc/email/fax just doesnt work! 

How do I get the laptop to see the printer is network connected, and to scan to PC/fax/email from the network?

How do I get the front panel setup to scan to PC/Fax/Email when USB or network attached?

PS. I am a computer professional of 30 years, and this software just is driving me crazy with its contradiction of status.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (659 Views)

Re: HP solution ctr says HP6500 is not configured for network, but setup page on printer says it is

WkeithSkinner,

Ok, no shooting the messanger, here.  Smiling.  It may be a network setup after all, OR it could be a services setup that stopped running or just needs to be restarted, that is, kicked hard in the bits.

Here are a couple of places to check (recheck?).  If you don't have it, you might download and put up (on the screen) the manual so you can recheck the networking for the wireless setup.  I pulled one of the manuals - you didn't say which 6500, so here is the most common one...

If it's not one of the services that is honked, then it pretty much has to be in the network... Why?  Because I was in IT for thirty years, too, and it's usually not something impossible - it is usually something small, significant, and under the radar that stops you cold.  It certainly could be something else, but the network is a good place to start.

IMO, put the file up on the screen and double check whatever it is that you are looking at.  It might be somethingh small.  Lacking "new eyes" on the issue, AND if it's something you MIGHT have missed, a check list can help.

The manual, the network guide, and whatnot:

Manuals for HP Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer - E710n

Wireless Printing Center

HP Home Network Diagnostic Utility for Printers

6500A - Solve a Problem - Wireless & network

Things to check / consider:

• MAC address denial
  • HP Network Devices Support Services needs to be restarted   (Page 151)
  • Print Driver issue - outdated
  • Cross Check RPC issues in Services
  • Reset Printer / System
  • Reinstall / Restart Internet Explorer - Why?  Because it gets in the way of everything, and it's used in the Web printing interface.  If you are using IE8, get to IE9 - now.  IE8 is full of worry.
  • Restart Router  (Do not "Reset" unless you have the router settings backed up so you can download without having to redo everything by hand.)

====================================================================================

Reset the printer

Here are two kinds:

1)  If there is a keypad, turn it off, then on and press # and 6 (keep pressed while turning on printer).

2)  No keypad?  Unplug while on, leave unplugged 30 seconds to a minute.  Plug back in.  (Be careful with this one - don't risk shock.)

====================================================================================

Hard Reset:

Sometimes all you need to do is kick the computer.  This method works for a variety of connection and ‘stuck’ program issues.

• Disconnect all external devices first.
  • Remove AC power and the battery
  • Press and hold power button for at least 30 seconds
  • Reinstall only AC power for first startup ** See Note
  • Power on - Log in
  • Next time you shut down the system, reinstall battery.

** Note: You can ignore the bit about leaving the battery out.  If you like, reinstall battery the first time and be done with it.

=====================================================================================

I hope this helps!                                 

We work hard to help!

When ever you see a Helpful Post - Click the Kudos Star on the Left as Thanks!

Did this Post solve your problem?  Mark it “Accept as Solution”!

Note: You can find the “Accept as Solution” box on threads started by you.

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon Tip:

HP Scan Diagnostic Utility

Description Scan Diagnostics:  HP Scan Diagnostic Utility was created to help users troubleshoot and correct connectivity problems with HP All-in-One devices and software on Windows-based computers. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the utility.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation