Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mikex21 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP update caused errors 0xc000000e and 0x0000007e in DV7.

I downloaded and installed some HP updates after restarting the system will not boot, intead it goes into Windows Error Recovery. I select Launch Starup Repair, there is a status Error 0xc000000e. I have run the Startup Recovery Disk, it gives me a messege, A problem had been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer with the Error 0x0000007e.

HP Pavilion DV7

Windows 7 64-bit

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2520 150 517
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you start the machine in safe mode by hitting F8 while booting?  If you can, see if you can do a system restore to an earlier time (like before the update).  Doesn't the system repair offer you the option to do a system restore to an earlier date as well? If you can get into safe mode, try to run a check disk on your hard drive. If you can enter HP utilities, run the memory test and the hard drive test. If all else fails, remove the hard drive and attach it to a desktop machine and have that machine run a check disk on your drive.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2520 150 517
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Some reading in case you are bored:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

mikex21 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can get to the screen where I get the option, but when I select safe mode it just restarts to the previous screen.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2520 150 517
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On that same screen I think you have an option to hit last known good. Give that a try.

0 Kudos
mikex21 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Makes no difference. After selecting Last Known Good Point, it restarts and goes to the Windows Error Recovery page.
0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2520 150 517
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you remove your hard drive and attach it to a desktop machine as the 2nd drive and use the desktop to run a check disk on your drive?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation