cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tekknokaetzi Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 2
Message 1 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP x2 210 (Product Nr. L5G94EA#ABD) microSD disappears

HP x2 210
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I recently bought the HP x2 210 (Product Nr. L5G94EA#ABD) notebook, running on Windows 10 64 bit. With the exception of my HP printer no other driver software has been installed.

I have a SanDisk 64 GB EXTREME card (Class 10). This microSD is recognised by Windows and mounted as 😧 (Secure Digital Memory Device)

I copied music and videos on this card. When listening to music or watching videos the following issue appears: after several minutes (5-15 inutes) the Windows sound for disconnecting a device pops up and my microSD card disappears from the list of devices. In consequence audio/video player stops playing.

When I now pull out the microSD card I hear again the Windows sound of disconnecting a device. When I put the microSD back into the slot the card is again recognized and mounted as 😧 as normal. When I now again listen to music or play my videos the same issue as described above appears after several minutes (can be 2 minutes but also 15 or 20 minutes after starting playing videos/music).

In some rare cases replacing the microSD card does not help: the card is not recognized and the system becomes inresponsible: then there is no other option than doing a hard reset (normal shutdown does not work, explorer does not work, no apps can be started). But this freeze/lock appeared only 2 or 3 times, whereas the microSD card was disconnected about 25 or 30 times within the last 3 days.

When I open system settings and device manager I can see a warning at the "class controller SD memory" (hope this is correctly translated from German description "Klassencontroller für SD-Speicher"). When clicking on this the message appears "The device is not working properly". No more info.

Under "USB controller" I can see a device named "Unknown USB device" that also displays the error message "Device not working properly". When pulling out the microSD card and inserting the card back these two error messages disappear.

This issue applies to other microSD cards too. I also tried another SanDisc 64 GB EXTREME card (also Class 10) and a Samsung 16 GB Class 6 card. All cards work fine on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 of my friend and in my PC desktop using the SD adapter.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Juergen

253 REPLIES 253
tekknokaetzi Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 2
Message 2 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Time for an update: after trying different microSD cards from different manufacturers the microSD card randomly disappears. I exchanged my HP x2 210 to a new one, but the error persists.

Some more details: after some minutes (can be 2, can be 50) the microSD card disappears. When  starting the system manager I can see a yellow exclamation mark at the SD controller. Clicking on properties gives an "Error code 43". Now if I deactivate this device and reactivate it again the error still persists. But when I manually remove the microSD card and then reinsert it, the card is recognized and starts to work again.

So basically I've tried two 64 GB class 10 cards (SanDisk and Transcend) and a 16 GB class 6 card by Samsung. All these cards give me this Code 43 error.

Anyone who can help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Intern
Intern
31 31 0 2
Message 3 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I purchased the x2 210 in UK and am facing the exact same issue , the micro sd card dissapears randomly or at times when waking from sleep.

The only way i can get it back is by taking the card out and putting it back again , the card works fine in other equipments.

I have enabled wirte caching to see if it makes any difference , will report back if  i see an improvement.

HP needs to investigate and see what is wrong. 

0 Kudos
tekknokaetzi Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 2
Message 4 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I contacted HP support and described the problem in detail during a >40 minutes phone call. Now I was informed that HP's service team just checked, if the microSD card would be recognized. And they could not find any failure. Not surprisingly, that was NOT the problem.

Now the tablet is on it's way back to me and it will still not let me write on the microSD card. Sadly, but I will return this tablet to the vendor.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Intern
Intern
31 31 0 2
Message 5 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forgot to update this post to state the below option stopped working after couple of hours ...

Update as of 14th Dec 2015 :

Finally found a solution that works for me,  got it on a online forum but lost the link. I have tried this from past 2 days to be sure  and the issue with mirco sd card seems to have gone away.

Here are the setps  i followed :

Before we start , remove the SD card and insert it back which should  ideally show up in "This PC" window then proceed with following :

1. Press WinKey + X,  choose Power Options

2. Click Choose what the power button does

3. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable

4. Under Shutdown settings,  uncheck  "Turn on fast startup"

5. Try a couple of restarts at periodic intervals to see if the SD stays detected.

Once you do the above, boot time will increase by approx  8  seconds, but the issue with sd card seems to go away , I still think HP should work with Microsoft to get a proper fix.

Warm Regards 

Manoj

tekknokaetzi Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 2
Message 6 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Manoj,

thanks for providing a possible solution. My HP x2 210 is on the way back to the vendor so I won't be able to test... but I posted a link to this solution in the German speaking support forum. Let's see if someone can test there.

Best regards,

Jürgen

0 Kudos
MartinWerty Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please, anybody with the solution? My SD card still doesnt work or better said goes off after any try to write to it. I was looking for driver for SD card reader, but wasnt succesful.

Thanks for help.

Martin

0 Kudos
VinceT64 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi I'm having this annoing problem too.

Card after modification of start up is recognized at start up ... but always stopo working after some time ..

0 Kudos
tekknokaetzi Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 2
Message 9 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Vince,

there is an intensive discussion on this issue in the German forum. To summarize so far:

• issue of "microSD card disappearing" is not related to a manufacturer or a microSD card model/type - it happens on many microSD cards which work perfectly on other devices
  • users in the German forum tried the changing energy management settings - some users reported success but most of the users had no success
  • some users sent their devices to HP technical support - devices were returned and issue is still there; so using the "Collect & Return" service of HP was senseless and waste of time

IMHO you do have two options if changing the energy management settings (disable fast startup) do not work:

1. try to live and work without microSD card
  2. return the device (either to be substituted by HP or you buy a different notebook/tablet)

If a solution is found in the German forum (that works for more than only a few users) I will post this solution here.

Greez,

Jürgen

0 Kudos
waj11 Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 10 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same issue here (HP x2 10-n111nd), really annoying. I hope  HP will come with a solution quicky!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation