cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ncc1701
Level 4
100 97 1 15
Message 11 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP x2 210 (Product Nr. L5G94EA#ABD) microSD disappears

We are having this problem too, on TWO separate machines.  My wife and I both have the HP x2, I have the 1TB model (hard disk inside keyboard).

The MicroSD cards randomly eject and reconnect, any apps installed to it become corrupt.

In addition I have also found the 1TB drive also randomly ejects and reconnects.

There is no pattern to this, I have tried multiple MicroSD cards which I know to be working including two brand new 128GB cards.

I've also tried NTFS and ExFAT filesystems.

With 32GB internal storage and 64-bit Windows, these machines simply are not able to work without storing apps on SD and as is, they are not fit for purpose.  I've never had such a problem in all the years I've used HP machines.  The problem did not exist on the previous generation x2 devices (the ones with the fabric keyboard covers).

0 Kudos
drw_08
2 1 0 0
Message 12 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

any updates everyone?

0 Kudos
jamus28
Level 2
34 30 0 3
Message 13 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the new 2016 Pavilion x2 10 inch with theh z8300

Everything was great until I tried a sandisk ultra 64gb microsd. I get the same random disconnects. I've tried write cache, ntfs formatting, virtual folder mount., etc.

The microsd works perfectly in a different laptop. (http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microSDXC-Standard-Packaging-SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA/dp/B010Q588D4/ref=zg_b...

Am I really going to have to return the computer over this bs?

0 Kudos
jamus28
Level 2
34 30 0 3
Message 14 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've been trying to find somewhere in device manager to see about disabling power management. However, I don't even see the actual card reader device listed.

Now, not only is the device failing, but my screen is turning black (on the  way to a blue screen i assume)

I'm now wonder if maybe the card reader can't handle new uhs-1 cards.

I'm downloading  large file now onto my old Class 4 sandisk microsd from my mp3 player. So far it's looking stable.

If this doesn't work, I guess I'm returning the hp and getting an ASUS transformer.

0 Kudos
ncc1701
Level 4
100 97 1 15
Message 15 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've been wondering if it's a card class issue, I've only just bought a 128GB card, so I'm reluctant to buy something else incase it doesn't work.   I've now got a stack of 64GB sandisk cards which work in everything apart from these machines.  It HAS to be some kind of driver issue, I can't believe HP would have released a whole heap of variant machines all completely incapable of using MicroSD cards.

I just wish we could FORCE HP into looking into this, because it is major limitation on an otherwise gorgeous little machine that I absolutely adore.

jamus28
Level 2
34 30 0 3
Message 16 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Still no luck. One interesting thing I tried is to format it as fat32 using a 3rd party program (yes still 64gb). It becomes A LOT more stable, but still fails after 10 minutes instead of 2.

If i knew of a 64gb card that worked, I would be satisfied.

I created another thread here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows/Please-post-working-microSD-cards-here-for-Pavilion-x2/td-p/553...

ncc1701
Level 4
100 97 1 15
Message 17 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I noticed you mentioned on the other thread you've had freezes and a black screen, I've not had any of those - so they may not be related.   With the two machines in our house, the MicroSD will just randomly disappear, maybe several times a day, maybe not even once - no pattern. 

I'm convinced it's a driver issue which HP should be able to fix rather than a hardware fault.

AND I WISH HP WOULD STOP TELLING ME I'VE EARNED FREAKIN' BADGES!  I DON'T NEED VIRTUAL MEANINGLESS BADGES, I NEED A SOLUTION.

0 Kudos
jamus28
Level 2
34 30 0 3
Message 18 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ncc1701, I'm fairly certain we have the same issue. Youre description on the first post was exactly my experience. The black screens have only come up after I've been pushing my system with weird configurations like GPT and fat32 for the 64gb microsd.

For reference, an old kingston class 4, 32gb sdhc works perfectly without a hiccup. I downloaded a 1gb file directly from the internet. Speed tests show only 20mb/s read, 2mb/s write 😛

The sandisk ultra had 80 read.

I'm going to risk it and buy another 64gb card from a different manufacturer thats rated to a lower speed. Unfortunately, i don't know if the issue is the size (>32gb) or the speed.

0 Kudos
ncc1701
Level 4
100 97 1 15
Message 19 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you be sure you've allowed enough time?  I can go a day or so without a problem and I think I've found a fix then -boom- back to square one.

Incidently, I've had my first ever BSOD error today on this machine, something to do with USB, maybe related. Wading through the Event Viewer is like wading through mud.

0 Kudos
jamus28
Level 2
34 30 0 3
Message 20 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Could you list the cards you've tried? Any ones smaller than 64gb?

You may be having a slightly different experience because you haven't tried transferring very large files yet?

From reading their forums, the asus transformer T100 also had similar issues. The atom bay trail processors were not compatible with UHS-1 until asus released a bios patch for a workaround.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation