cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ncc1701
Level 4
100 97 1 15
Message 41 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP x2 210 (Product Nr. L5G94EA#ABD) microSD disappears

Well, the trick from Sandisk didn't work for long, the disk has ejected itself again.

Looked at the update tool thing, the updates are for the Intel "Integrated Sensor Solution" and AFAIK nothing to do with SD.

It's back to square one!  🙂

0 Kudos
jamus28
Level 2
34 30 0 3
Message 42 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Especially with that 32gb card, I'd like you to try one more thing. By default, the power saving settings are very aggressive on our notebook.

Unfortunately, many of the advanced power settings are not easily configurable with our setup.

First, download and install the following registry patches:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/51294-power-options-add-remove-usb-selective-suspend.html

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/49915-power-options-add-remove-when-sharing-media.html

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/50769-power-options-add-remove-link-state-power-management.html

Then go into your power plan options. Change the screen timeout and sleep to something far beyond when you normally see the sdcard unmount. Then go into advance settings. For both battery/plugged in, change:

USB selective suspend to off

Link state power management to off

When sharing media - prevent idling to sleep

I then also created a folder mount on my c: drive in disk management.

Now these are all just guesses on my part. One of these settings prevents the sdcard from unmounting when i close the screen (so I can keep downloading files) but I haven't bothered narrowing it down yet since its so late. You can experiment.

0 Kudos
Dariodoh
Level 1
6 6 0 5
Message 43 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same issue on my x2 10-n105nl with Intel z8300. At first I bought a Samsung EVO SDXC 64gb uhs-1 class 10, than I changed for a SanDisk Ultra 64gb and I had the same problem. After calling HP support I decided to return to Amazon the SanDisk and than I bought a 64gb Kingston DataTravel microDuo 3C to bypass the problem.

Unluckly I have the same problem with the USB 3.0 plug into my device. The problem is even worse, considering that it happens every 10 seconds instead of 20 minutes ca that happened with both microSDs. The only "solution" at the moment is to plug the Kingston DataTravel with the USB type-C side (in fact it gives me no problem). I'm in daily touch with a Slovakian guy of the HP support trying to understand and solve the problem. I hope that HP releases a BIOS update soon so we all could solve the problem (I'll wrote here in case of news).

0 Kudos
ncc1701
Level 4
100 97 1 15
Message 44 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Dariodoh

I wonder if this is a wider problem.  I have a couple of external USB 3.0 hard drives, one powered, one not (i.e. it draws it's power from the USB port).  The unpowered drive repeatedly disappears/disconnects/ejects, I've noticed it's more prevalent when the drive spins up, although it does happen when copying large chunks of data at random intervals - essentially it's unusable which is why I use a powered USB 3.0 HD for backups.

My HP x2 is the 1TB HD version - it has a thicker keyboard with the drive mounted inside, that -USED- to eject/disconnect randomly too but it stopped and I'm not sure what did it.  Technically it's internally a USB device too.

Again I'm thinking this is all driver/BIOS related, HP really have let us down with this and as a customer for decades - I'm shocked.

0 Kudos
ncc1701
Level 4
100 97 1 15
Message 45 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jamus28

I was reading on the Asus thread you posted a link to, that with the Sandisk cards, even the same ones, they can vary.  Some will work, some wont - depends on where it was fabricated I suppose and on the embedded chip controller.  I went through all my 64GB Micro SD cards, they ARE all different as the ASUS thread suggested - different types of serial/product codes from different factories and at least one was from Taiwan where the others were labelled China, but nonetheless, they ALL have the problem.  It doesn't help, but it's another possibility ruled out.

BTW. I thought I'd done the registry hacks, but I don't think I'd done the USB selective suspend right.  Yesterday I put my Sandisk Ultra 128GB card back into my X2 and tried the USB selective suspend again.  I made the change last night, I've had NO PROBLEMS - SO FAR.

UPDATE:

The card seemed fine from last night until this afternoon. I'd closed the computer and left it on the side for a couple of hours, when I opened it again, the card disappeared - I had to eject it from the slot and plug it back in again to make it work.  I'm going to continue the test.

0 Kudos
ncc1701
Level 4
100 97 1 15
Message 46 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just a quick update if anyone reads this, the USB selective suspend hack is -A- workaround, I've only had one occassion where the card ejected after sleep since I made the change.  I am using a UHS-I 128GB Sandisk Ultra card.

BUT the cost is the power drain, the system never goes to sleep properly and the power drain is constant.

0 Kudos
ncc1701
Level 4
100 97 1 15
Message 47 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forget my previous post, just after I made it, my card disappeared again.  So I'm going to remove the hack as it impedes the computer's sleep.

SO, BACK TO SQUARE ONE.

0 Kudos
Boostern
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 48 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem, it is unbelievable that HP seems to ignore this big fault with its notebook!

Everything I have tried so far doesn't fix the problem, I am waiting for a fix from HP!

0 Kudos
jamus28
Level 2
34 30 0 3
Message 49 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boostern, can you please tell us your brand and model of SD card, as well as the model of HP noteboook?

NCC,  could you modify the 1st post and add to the top in bold that people should write their laptop and sd card models?

This thread is getting a good amount of attention.

0 Kudos
Boostern
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 50 of 254
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi jamus, I have an X2 10 n106nl, I've tried a Samung EVO Plus 64gb and a Sandisk Ultra 64gb. Both keeps disconnecting after a while. I doesn't seem to be a problem of SD card vendors because a lot of other people have the same problem with Kingstone or other SD card models.

BTW, I started another thread before noticing this one...

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation