cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mrquay
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP250 laptop keyboard and trackpad refuse to work?

HP Recommended
HP250
Windows 7

Hi There,

My father in law was working on his laptop when he tried to stop a program loading, unfortunately I dont know what this program was. More than likely something he mistakenly downloaded from the web. It happens a lot but he is 90 years old.

Any way, he has given me the laptop.

Basically the keyboard and trackpad do not work. I have tried to boot up in safe mode, safe mode with networking and normally and nothing.

I took out the battery for 10 mins and that didnt work either.

I tapped into the bios and everything looked ok but I'm no expert. I loaded defaults etc and still nothing.

If anyone could shed some light on this I would be very grateful.

Very best wishes

Chris

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
45,034 44,810 7,236 12,838
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does the keyboard work when you are in the BIOS? If not the keyboard is likely kaput and needs to be replaced. I think trying to stop the program was not the cause. Just a coincidence.

We can find you a keyboard for not a lot of money and replacement instructions if you want to go that way.

0 Kudos
Mrquay
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The keyboard did work in the bios.

Its just that when I get to the password screen on bootup, the keys and mouse dont work.

Regards

Chris

0 Kudos
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
45,034 44,810 7,236 12,838
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK then that is a Windows driver issue. Go into the device manager and find the keyboard and uninstall it as a device. Reboot and let Windows reload the driver. I assume you are using a usb keyboard to get around while the main keyboard deos not work?

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation