cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
George_HP Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP630 Notebook PC Can't install Linux distributions

Hello I've recently bought a HP630 Notebook PC which came with  Windows 7 Professional installed from the shop, I mostly used it for personal use, at my faculty I work on Linux Ubuntu to be more precise, but recently I have to use my laptop for work also but since I work with software platforms which need Linux I tried to install Ubuntu on this laptop for the first time.

I'm sorry if I'm quick to blame the hardware but  I've tried to install  Ubuntu 12.04 11.10, 12.04 a few version of Kubuntu, which is what I originally wanted to install, and even tried the newest version of OpenSuse, as the laptop came with a Suse Linux  sticker on it, and none of these distros managed to install and work

I've tried with both 64bit and 32bit versions for all of them.

They all present the same behavior the initial menu appears but when I try to install the screen freezes, I've tried from a pendrive the same result, the exception is Ubuntu 11.10 from a very old CD it manages to install but it freezes when it needs to enter Ubuntu.

I've tried the wubi installer from inside Windows it installs it successfully but when I try to run it the screen again freezes to black I was able to catch a glimpse of a "wrong prefixes error" at least.

I'm thinking this has to be a hardware issue, because this is the first time installing Ubuntu on this machine, I had to reinstall Windows lately but the BIOS is up to date going by HP's website, and I've never had so many distro's and versions fail one after the other.

If someone has had any similar experiences with failing to install/run a Linux distro on a HP630 or a similar configuration I would welcome any reply or hint.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Provost Provost
Provost
44,987 40,663 4,399 11,432
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Will any of the distros run as Live versions from CD or USB thumbdrive?

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

George_HP Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Generaly no, when I try to run them as a live cd they freeze up, there has been a exception Kubuntu 11.10 LiveCd but after using it once I tried again just to be sure and it froze up again.

When it worked as a LiveCD I didn't notice any faults or hints at the cause of this issue.

0 Kudos
rm25 Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issues. HP H8-1200z. It's a  AMD computer+chipset (rolled the dice) but I got it with a Nvidia card. I'd  like to dual-boot it with a buntu. I can't see the harddrive in any distro (samething 32,64 bit, parted-magic...) I've tried IDE, AHCI, and the default RAID (I only have 1 HDD?but that's default sett.)  in the BIOS. I've also disabled uefi boot. No change, can't install. Latest Bios installed aswell. I was thinking hardware, but now I see you on a Intel laptop I'm thinking BIOS.

George_HP Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've reached a "compromise" of sorts I've installed Kubuntu 12.04 32 bits  as a single boot system, which unfortunately doesn't help in your case, and it's been behaving reasonably well, the problem hasn't gone away it still frezzes sometime but rest of the time it works perfectly.

The times it freezes I chose the option to see each steps as it boots up and it allways stops after it loads only the first core not going to the next.

0 Kudos
gerrygprs Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my HP630 which was running Windows 7 Home Premium. I used Wubi and made a 20GB partition for Linux.

I did not have any issue whatsoever getting it running. Everything worked the first time, including sound and WIFI.

Ubuntu is so stable that I am going to be backing up my personal files on my Windows Partition and going to go with Ubuntu exclusively. I don't think I need my laptop to be under the mercy of Microsoft (their customer support sucks).

I mainly use web browsing, Youtube, email, and now starting to learn Python Programming. I really don't need anything from a monopoly like Microsoft.

I dont know if the hardware has anything to do with the install, but have you tried to install updates on the firmware for BIOS, etc..

If you manage to install Linux, make sure you install all the updates immediately after your install. Could help.

0 Kudos
hdbhandari Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

pass nolapic as parameter while booting. Then after installing update grub with the same parameter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
William400 Top Student
Top Student
7 4 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I have an HP Envy 15 Laptop

Model:  15-q667nr

I have tried to install Linux Mint 17.3 and 18.1 and each time I failed. I also tried to install Ubuntu and that also failed. I don't know what the problem is. I have another laprop, a Gateway, which installed Ubuntu easily. So you are not alone.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation