cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dew_veil
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Solved!

HP8540w Bios downgrade

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have an Elitebook 8540w with an Intel Core i5-520M processor.

It has a nVidia Quadro FX 880M graphics card.

The machine runs Windows 7 Professional 64-bits and has 8Gb RAM.

For some weeks now, I am experiencing power shut-offs due to overheating.

It is very annoying... and I started (I think) to experience these shut-downs right after I upgraded the BIOS to F23 (the latest available for this machine).

So before doing anything else, I'd like to try and downgrade the BIOS to the previous version I had,

I've read in this thread

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-e-g-Windows-8-and-Software/HP-EliteBook-BIOS...

that there is a BIOS Recovery option (Windows key + Capital B key together ?).

Would that work on my machine too?

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Vidya
Level 14
Level 14
6,936 6,932 720 2,778
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

F.22 BIOS version for your system is available as download from the following weblink:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Try flashing it with this older one.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,949 42,189 4,642 12,403
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually, if you upgraded the BIOS then it should be simple to downgrade it to the original BIOS. Yours is a notebook with the modern replacement of BIOS called the UEFI environment. UEFI makes rolling back a BIOS to another version safe and simple. Your notebook shipped with UEFI installed.

Press the power button and immediately tap the Esc key to invoke the startup menu.

In the startup menu choose F2 (System Diagnostic) In the Diagnostics menu there is a firmware management section that will allow you to rollback the BIOS to a previous version. 

UEFI Diagnostic selections.jpg

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops or desktop PCs, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate the Product number (SKU)
dew_veil
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Vidya,

Thanks for the fast answer.

So just downloading the F22 BIOS and flashing it "normally" would work? (That means, just double-clicking on the sp57754.exe file?

To be honest, I'm a little scared to do the BIOS downgrade.

Also, one thing:

to upgrade to the F23 version, I used "HP SoftPaq Download Manager".
So I checked in the history of HP SoftPaq Download Manager, and :

- previously I had version F21 of the BIOS

- the updgrade to F23 doesn't appear in the history (!!!)

To summarize:

- can I just double-click sp57754 and it will install the new BIOS (I need to shut down everything else I suppose, or... how should I do)?

- is there a way to install F22 with the HP SoftPaq Download Manager at all?

- is it normal that the F23 update does not appear in HP SoftPaq Download Manager history?

These are probably very dumb questions, but... thanks in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
dew_veil
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Erico,

Ah 🙂 Your answer came while I was writing the answer back to Vidya's reply.

Great, and many thanks! I'll try to use the UEFI environment then, it does look a lot easier!

My questions still stand though (especially the ones about HP SoftPaq Download Manager)

Thanks Erico and Vidya very much for your precious help!

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,949 42,189 4,642 12,403
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If the UEFI environment is available never use the softpack download method.

The old school BIOS upgrade method has risk involved with it that is not present with the UEFI method.

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops or desktop PCs, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate the Product number (SKU)
0 Kudos
dew_veil
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks erico!

I didn't know that... I assumed using the SoftPaq method was safe, as it was proposed... by a HP software.

I'm glad you taught me about the UEFI environment 🙂

Thank you!

0 Kudos
dew_veil
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I used the UEFI environment as explained by erico, and it was very convenient...

Unfortunately, the rollback failed after several attempts in "writing new BIOS". It stopped at about 629 or 659 / 768 at its last attempt.

I have no idea why. Could it be because I used the HP SoftPaq Download Manager to update from F21 to F23? Or what else could it be?

And what should I do now?

Thanks again for your kind help and direction.

N.B.: The UEFI environment said :
Current BIOS  version: 68CVD Ver. F.23
Version of BIOS after Rollback: F.21

0 Kudos
Vidya
Level 14
Level 14
6,936 6,932 720 2,778
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry to hear that the UEFI solution did not help. My expertise is limited here. Wait for any suggestion from Eric or anyone else for another 1 day. Here is what I could think of:

Try upgrading the UEFI to latest 5.2 using the following weblink:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp62001-62500/sp62194.exe

Also download the F22 BIOS from the following weblink:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp57501-58000/sp57754.exe

Firmware can be installed manually; must have BIN file and signature file. This should only be done in extremely rare circumstances

Unzip this BIOS update and store it in a flash drive. Copy the HpBiosUpdate32.sig file from BIOS update folder to the root folder of the flash drive. Also copy 68CVD.BIN file from ROMPAQ folder to the root folder of the flash drive.

Keep the flashdrive connected, go to UEFI...select firmware management...select New...and navigate to the flash drive. This should pickup the BIOS update from the flash drive.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
0 Kudos
dew_veil
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your message, Vidya.

I'll do what you said and wait a day for a possible answer from erico or someone else.

Yesterday, after the rollback failed, I tried to do the diagnostic tests in the UEFI environment.

1) About 2 minutes after the Power On and starting the Quicktest : the computer shut itself down at about 2mn in the Quicktest (on 10mn 30 estimated)

2) I waited a long time with the computer off so it will cool down (15 mn), then turned it on to restart the Quicktest : it went all the way through "Passed" without shutting itself down.

3) 8 hours later (computer off) : the Quicktest passed.

4) Right after the Quicktest I started the Extensive test (forgot the name) which is supposed to take about 3 hours : shut down after 3 mn or so.

So I guess there really is a cooling problem with the machine, which might not be related to the BIOS upgrade - or is it possible such a thing REALLY is related to the BIOS? I thought so.

Anyway... waiting for your kind help and suggestions about what to do now in order to go back to F.21.

Thank you

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation