cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Bikerrick
Level 1
15 13 0 1
Message 11 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard DRive Tattoo

I have only the two drives, the Samsung and the Seagate. The Samsung is the original drive that came installed on the machine and the Seagate is one I bought to replace the Samsung. I've been told by HP tech support that the Seagate is a good match for the computer. I am going to run the Samsung diagnostics and if it still reads bad I will return the machine to the owner. I never have this problem with a machine I buy from a distributor or one I put together myself. This should not be happening with a tier one Company.
0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
44,688 38,145 3,342 14,039
Message 12 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard DRive Tattoo

Not sure which model of Seagate you have..but if it is one of those listed_the Tech Support guy must not be familiar with HP's own statement >>

"Some computers with NVIDIA chipsets may experience a hang early in the formatting or copying process if a newer (than originally shipped) generation hard disk drive has been used to replace the original primary drive. This issue has been seen with Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 and 7200.12 series drives, as well as some Samsung models. There have been no issues reported with newer drives from Hitachi and Western Digital. This only affects computers with a software build ID that starts with 71, 72, or 73 (built in 2006/2007). The build ID can be found on a label adhered to the bottom of the computer case. Replace the hard drive with a compatible drive to recover these computers from recovery discs. Replaced drives can be used as secondary storage devices."

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Bikerrick
Level 1
15 13 0 1
Message 13 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard DRive Tattoo

There does'nt seem to be any number 71, 72, 73. the biggest numbers are 68 and 64, but the drive is a 12.
0 Kudos
Bikerrick
Level 1
15 13 0 1
Message 14 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard DRive Tattoo

I went out and bought a WD drive. I still can't get any further than I could on the Seagate. Does exactly the same. Getting frustrated but appreciate the time spent trying to help me.
0 Kudos
Bikerrick
Level 1
15 13 0 1
Message 15 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard DRive Tattoo

OK: I may have noticed a problem Just how close does the BID need to be? The machines BID is 64NAemMPA4 and the recovery disks sent to me by HP have 64NAemMPA3 written on them, could this be the problem? I can see why the MOBO tattoo and the DMI for the original drive would allow the disks to start the recovery process and act differently than on the Seagate or WD.
0 Kudos
tieronetech
Level 3
43 40 0 9
Message 16 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard DRive Tattoo

Did you ever run the tattoo or DMI program to put the info back into the MoBo?

edbergjun
Level 6
360 338 14 94
Message 17 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard DRive Tattoo

does hp provide a software that can be used for mobo tattoing?

is it downloadable on their ftp site or only hp folks can do this?

Highlighted
edbergjun
Level 6
360 338 14 94
Message 18 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard DRive Tattoo

hi all

download this pdf file, it will answer our questions in this thread,

http://rapidshare.com/files/401215959/Tattoo_DMI_Utility_Instructions_v5.pdf.html

click the star to say thanks

click accept as solution if my reply solved your question

LeeStan
4 3 0 1
Message 19 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard DRive Tattoo

As a tech that does work on HP machines on a daily ( no i dont work for HP ) yes actually the motherboard and hard drive must be tattooed inorder for tthe recovery disks to work on HP and compaqs. if you cange either one you must tattoo them.

Level 17
Level 17
44,688 38,145 3,342 14,039
Message 20 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard DRive Tattoo

@LeeStan

I have to differ with your opinion of tattoo on hdd. I have 4 HP machines in my home and only the laptop still has original hdd installed. All others have had hdd upgraded and reinstalled using HP Recovery Disks...with no tattoo required.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation