cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Hard Drive Corrupted, need help with replacement drive...

HP Recommended

I currently have a HP Pavillion DV6500 its a bit old but my kids use it for learning games and watching netflix. They use it on a daily basis. Month ago the hard drive went out on it i tried taking it in they told me to just buy a new laptop that it would cost way to much to fix it.

The hard hard drive has a sticker that says "Replace with HP Spare" what does that mean? The laptop was running a Seagate Momentus 5400.3 im looking for a good compatable hard drive that can fit into the laptop right now. And one that one cost an arm and a leg.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,901 16,788
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

250Gb Notebook Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive is detailed starting on Page 59 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Once done, simply use your Recovery DVDs to reinstall the Operating System on the new drive.

If you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can order a replacement set using the link below.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

there wont be no bottle neck or install issue switching from a SATA 1.5 gb\s to a 3.0 gb\s will there?

Also will the connector that is currently on the old hard drive fit this new hard drive which allows it to fit into the the laptop?

i couldnt find the recovery disk on HP website but read on another forum about a 3rd party that deals with HP recovery disks. Is this site safe to use to order the recovery disk?

http://www.computersurgeons.com/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,901 16,788
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

There will be no problems installing a Sata II (3.0Gb/s) - it is fully backward compatible.

The adapter on your current HDD will fit the new drive - just remove the caddy from the old HDD, remove the adapter, then connect the adapter and fit the caddy to the new drive.

The reseller you've linked to for the Recovery Disc set is one that's often recommended on the forum, so you should have no problems.

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation