Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rpb218 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Drive Failed

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. My HP laptop was 4 days over the one year when the Hard Drive failed (well the test says it has failed). If I buy a new hard drve, how can i get the Windows 10 re-applied?

Also, how easy is it to find the original Microsoft code that i was provided with when i bought th laptop, from what i have read, i need to first put the Windows 8 that the laptop came with back on, and then put it through for the free upgrade to Windows 10 (which i did last August).

Many thanks. rpb218 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY
Provost Provost
Provost
49418 9836 16739
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Drive Failed

Hi,

As you've previously upgraded to Windows 10, a hardware profile of your machine will have been saved by the activation servers.

As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just create your own installation media and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation