cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Fut1a
Level 2
10 7 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Hard Drive Problems

HP Recommended
HP ENVY DV7 7335ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Anyone know what's wrong please?

My hdd hard drive failed and I replaced it with a Crucial MX300 525GB drive, and installed the recovery disks that I purchased from HP. All the disks loaded fine but I am still having problems.

On start up it says boot device not found.
Please install an operating system on your hard drive.
Hard disk (3F0).
F2 system diagnostics.

The laptop had been upgraded to win 10 before the drive failure but after installing the recovery disks It will be back to win 8. 

When hen I press f2 on start up the menu now looks different, so I think the recovery disks have done their job.

Also, when I go into system configuration, UEFI device configuration, and then Intel (R) rapid storage technology it says

Non raid physical disks

Port 0 crucial_CT525MX300SSD1 16431465E9BF, 489. OGB

Port2 Hitachi HTS541010A9E680 J8100019J5K44A, 931. GB

So that would suggest the crucial drive is in correctly, although should the crucial drive port say port 1 and not 0?

UEFI boot order can be selected and changed, at the moment the options are

internal cd/DVD rom drive

Os boot manager
Usb diskette on key/USB hard disk
Usb cd/dvd rom drive
! Network adapter

i just changed it to cd/DVD instead of Os boot manager but that didn't do anything. So should I change it back?

Not sure if this is supposed to be? The Legacy drive is greyed out so I can't do anything with it. Not that I know what I am doing lol. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,612 3,966
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Fut1a

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I Understand there are hard drive issues with the PC, you've replaced the drive and need information about the same,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Are you still getting the error 3F0 with boot device not found? If yes, it's possible the drive has a loose connection or not detected at times,

Did you replace the drive via HP or a local store?

If the drive was changed and OS was reinstalled, was it using the recovery media created from your PC or did you get the media elsewhere?

While you respond to that, here's the answer to a few of your questions:

1) should the crucial drive port say port 1 and not 0? - it shows the port in use and doesn't matter which port is being used.

2) So should I change it back to OS boot manager? yes, it's better you do.

Note: the recovery media would automatically format the new drive, create a new partition and install the OS using these steps: Click here for details.

Let me know If I've answered all your queries,

Keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Fut1a
Author
Level 2
10 7 1 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

I am typing this message on the laptop.

I have sorted it now I went into F10 on start up and changed the date to 2012 because I had read something about HP not updating the bios on the HP Envy DV7. I re-installed the disks and everything worked apart from my windows 10. Then I reset the date to todays date.

I upgraded my windows 8.1 to windows 10 for free and I had read something about windows putting something on your pc so you don't lose it. Well mine has not come on anyway, so I have upgraded windows 8 to 8.1 which they still let you do for free.

Do you know how I can check that my other hard drive is working in 8.1?

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,612 3,966
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Fut1a

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for. 

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

And to answer your question about which version of windows you are currently using: Click here

(I may not have understood your question accurately if the above doesn't answer your question and I would request you to elaborate).

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation