cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
KF8RVmark
Level 3
56 40 0 0
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Drive Replacement Option(s)..?

Will the following hard drive properly replace my WD5000BEVT-60A0RT0 500GB inside of my HP Pavilion g7-1070us :

Western Digital Scorpio Black wd5000bpkt 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136856).

My drive is working fine at this point in time which I am almost certain it's a 5400rpm drive.  I started to think about what I'd do if my hard drive fails.  It's good to be aware of my options in advance of any problem especially since the g7 is my one and only one computer.

My computer is exactly one year old as of the beginning of May 2012; therefore, the existing hard drive should be fine for a long while.  The faster rpm seems a choice replacement for any slight addition to its speed, although I fully realize that current consumption and other operating parameters are factors that have to be more professionally considered by someone more qualified than me about hard drive technology.  The link above includes specs and other information including an interesting comparison's pdf link towards the bottom of the webpage.

Thanks for any help.

Regards from Mark KF8RV.

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
Level 20
Level 20
111,932 102,109 16,016 24,604
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Mark:

That would be the drive I would get if I were replacing the one you have.

The faster RPM and double the cache of your current one, will make a decent difference, at the moderate expense of battery life between charges.

You read a sampling of the reviews on the Scorpio black. It appears to have a very good reputation.

I just bought the Caviar black 500 GB desktop version--32 MB cache.

Very nice. Fast and quiet.

Paul

KF8RVmark
Level 3
56 40 0 0
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply. At least I know I'm looking into my options correctly.
0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Since you are not in dire need of getting a HDD like I was, I would wait for several months or longer before getting one.

Hard drive prices are higher than they should be because of flooding in Thailand in October which devastated many major manufacturer's hard drive manufacturing plants located there.

As a result, HDD prices more than tripled in late October, and now have come down to nearly double what they cost before the October monsoons hit there.

I paid at least $40 more for my WD Caviar Black HDD last month than I would have paid in September.

So, watch the pricing on the drive and buy when the prices have stabilized.

I would be surprised if the price doesn't come down to at least $59.99 by August or so.

Paul

KF8RVmark
Level 3
56 40 0 0
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Again, thank you.  I'll keep an eye on the price.

0 Kudos
KF8RVmark
Level 3
56 40 0 0
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I forgot to ask: Do I need to purchase any additional part(s).  I'd imagine there's existing parts (shields, pads or bumpers, and cable) inside of the computer already that can be reused, correct?

Thanks and regards from Mark KF8RV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Mark:

You are correct.

You only need to purchase the bare drive, and strip (reuse) all of the existing hardware (screws, caddy, interface connector to the motherboard (if applicable)) from the current HDD.

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook which may come in handy when you want to replace your HDD.

Removal and replacement procedures can be found in chapter 4.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02834058.pdf

Best regards,

Paul

KF8RVmark
Level 3
56 40 0 0
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  The answers and the information that you have provided to me are very helpful. 

I'm somewhat anxious for the price of the hard drive to drop.  When I see it at a ridculously low price, I'll more than likely buy it and start using it.  Until then, I'll continue to use the existing hard drive which has thus far been working well for me.  I use this laptop computer as a desktop replacement.

Regards from Mark.

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're most welcome, Mark.

Don't forget to make a set of recovery disks, so you can reinstall the OS on a new drive.

Alternatively you can do this workaround...

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft windows 7 product key, you can download plain Windows 7 ISO files to burn to DVD's for the version of windows that came installed on your PC, and that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker on your PC's case.

Burn the ISO using the Burn ISO option on your DVD burning program and burn at the slowest possible speed your program will allow. This will create a bootable DVD.

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Copy the C:\SWSetup folder off your existing hard drive as that contains sub-folders with most if not all of the driver and software installation files that came with your PC.  You can use those to reinstall the programs.

You would have to open each of the sub-folders to see what's in there as they only have file numbers labeled sp#####.

Paul

0 Kudos
KF8RVmark
Level 3
56 40 0 0
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I already have the collection of service packs on the backup drive.

Thanks for the information about re-installing Windows 7.  I have a retail version of Windows 7 which I would not have spent the money on if I had known how to re-use the existing product key.  I've performed a clean-install on this computer, in other words.

Regards from Mark KF8RV.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation