cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Level 20
Level 20
110,641 100,818 15,755 24,227
Message 11 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Drive Replacement Option(s)..?

Hi, Mark:

If you bought a retail license version of W7, you can transfer it to another PC.

If you bought an OEM version, unfortunately, you cannot.

So, if you bought a retail version, you didn't really waste any $$$.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
KF8RVmark
Level 3
56 40 0 0
Message 12 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now I'm somewhat royally confused.

I bought Windows 7 Home Premium on DVD from Best Buy.  It's original Microsoft software including the product key.  I believe that it's Microsoft OEM software. 

I've clean-installed it twice on the same computer (this one), and I've been able to activate it using the product key.  I don't think that it would allow me to activate on another computer since that would require a newly purchased product key.

Gosh.  Now I don't know what type of software product I own:  Retail version or OEM.  Since it's an original Microsoft product, I view that as OEM.

Somewhere there's a question in all of this for you.

Thanks,

Mark.

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 13 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Mark:

I am not sure that they sell OEM software at Best Buy.

If you paid close to $199.99, then you got the full retail version.

If you paid close to $119.99 then you got the retail upgrade version.

If the package was in a green (full or upgrade) box with two installation disks (32  and 64 bit) , then it is a retail version, and can be transferred to another PC.

If you bought an OEM version, it would be approximately $99.99, and it would have only come with one disk depending on if you bought a 32 or 64 bit installation.

You can use the key over and over again on the same PC. It is when you go to use it on a different PC is when you will know what version you have.

A retail version will tell you to activate over the phone using the automated activation method, where you call a toll free number, the automated assistant asks you how many computers is this copy installed on and you answer one, and then you have to input a zillion numbers with your phone keypad, you will see when you had gone to activate the installation, and then the automated assistant reads you a zillion numbers back, and your product is activated.

If you try to use an OEM key on another PC, you will not get that option--only a notice that states the product key is invalid when you go to activate the installation.

Hope this helps,

Paul

0 Kudos
KF8RVmark
Level 3
56 40 0 0
Message 14 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for OEM versus Retail explanation.

I bought the full Retail version of Windows 7.

The HP Forums have been very helpful to me.  The forums in addition to the quality products are the reasons I'll buy another HP computer, although I can't afford another one for a few years.  I'm just trying to say that I'm well-pleased with the product and I want to keep it purring like a kitten in the coming years. 

Have a good day.

Mark.

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 15 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Mark.

You have a great weekend!

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
KF8RVmark
Level 3
56 40 0 0
Message 16 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paul:

I hope you still see this question since I'm responding to last week's post.

In Advanced Power Settings:

Turn Off hard drive after

On battery: 6 minutes

Plugged in: 12 minutes

Those are my present settings.  Just curious whether I should lower the minutes.  What's best for the hard drive itself?  I think these are what's referred to as spin-down times, though I'm not sure of that.  I've never been quite sure what number of minutes to assign.  Windows 7 installation defaults: 20 minutes which I had thought was somewhat excessive. 

Thanks and regards from Mark KF8RV.

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 17 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Mark:

I have checked the box to receive e-mails to all posts I have replied to or started, so that is how I am able to respond.

In reference to your question.  I have always left the defaults, and you bring up a good point. If you are not using the hard drive, you may as well let it spin down (yes, I believe that is the terminology) earlier than the default setting --especially when on battery power.

That should save a little wear and tear, and should save battery power too--especially when running a 7,200 RPM HDD.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
KF8RVmark
Level 3
56 40 0 0
Message 18 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Paul.

Due to your willingness to answer my questions, I am to ask another one.

Does my computer provide dual-monitor support?  It has a VGA port.  I'm asking because it might just provide single screen output support, i.e., display the same screen as the laptop's screen.

My brother uses dual monitors at his house, although I've never seen it in action, I have heard about it. and it sounds nifty.

Regards from Mark KF8RV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 19 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Mark:

It may very well support dual monitors. I am looking at the service manual, and according to it you have a VGA out port and an HDMI out port. I believe you could run 2 monitors from those. You could get a HDMI to DVI adapter and hook a monitor up that way, and then just hook up a monitor to the VGA port.

I would see if you could borrow a second monitor to make sure it worked before running out and buying one.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation