Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Chrisjossue Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Hard drive short dst failed

Pavilion sleekbook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Did a system quick test and it told me hard drive short dst check: FAILED and also gave me a failure id. I don't know what to do
6 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
49064 9691 16467
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post

Hi,

Can you post back with the following details.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of your notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

2.  The 24 character failure id produced by the short dst test.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post

Model: 15-b142dx
Product: d8x43ua#aba

Error code: m091vt-6q0893-mfpwwj-60x803

Thanks
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
49064 9691 16467
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post

Hi,

You're welcome

The 24 character error id does confirm a failure of the short Disk Self Test ( DST ) and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - If needed, you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post

Hello, I am out of warranty and would like a guide please
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
49064 9691 16467
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post

Hi,

Your notebook is listed as coming with a 500Gb Hard Drive, but you can just as easily install a 750Gb HDD if you want a bit more space - the drives on the following links are examples that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

750Gb Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 47 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

As far as reinstalling the operating system on the new drive goes, you can just perform a clean installation of 10 - as the machine has been previously upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10, a hardware profile ( Digital Entitlement ) will have been recorded by the activation servers.

As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8, you can just create your own installation media and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post

If I take out the hard drive and put a new one, do I have to restore stuff like photos, documents, etc? If so, how do I do that.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation