cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BrokeCollegeBoy Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Help Upgrading SSD and RAM on m7-J120dx

Hp Envy m7-J120dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Envy m7-J120dx laptop computer and am looking to upgrade the hard drive to an SSD and max out RAM to 16GB. I just purchased a Crucial MX300 525GB SSD, but my quesiton is would upgrading my current 8GB of ram to the max of 16GB of ram improve the performace of my pc with my new SSD? I'm not really familiar with this type of stuff so any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
13,519 12,928 1,691 4,395
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

2.5 inch SATA SSD itself would be a major boost for overall performance. 8gb RAM will be well enough for moderate use. But if you need to increase, you can.

Manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04091762

Page 1, 2 , 41-44

2 slots, upto 16gb (two 8gb sticks) exact same configuration, speed, voltage as given in manual and each other.

2.5 inch SATA SSD can be put in primary bay(middle position) , boot from it. You can move original HDD to secondary bay (away from middle) - as storage.

Get hard drive kit for connecting secondary HDD from its bay to board:
Hard Drive Hardware Kit 720237-001� (you need longer HDD connnector cable and hard drive bracket)

Get at least 256gb SSD to use recovery media to factory reset OS to it. Change boot order to SSD.

I'll choose Samsung Evo SSD. Certain models of Crucial is known to cause issues in HP notebooks. Not sure which ones.

Regards

Visruth
I'm a Volunteer AND I don't work for, nor represent HP

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say thank you and Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" if this is the answer you needed
0 Kudos
BrokeCollegeBoy Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've already ordered the Crucial SSD, do you think this would work well with my computer? Link is below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IAGSD68/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also, could you direct me to a compatible Samsung Evo SSD. 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
13,519 12,928 1,691 4,395
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Crucial MX series has been causing issues in getting detected by BIOS, HP notebook hardware. I have no idea why. It's an on going debate in this Forum, many members bashing people helping here, for suggesting it in the initial times.

Samsung Evo SSDs have been consistently successful for me:
http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-850-evo-2-5-sata-iii-500gb...
I'm a Volunteer AND I don't work for, nor represent HP

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say thank you and Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" if this is the answer you needed
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation