cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post

Help! Water spill, can not power on!

HP Recommended
I spilled water on my DV2715 last night.  After I tried to drip the water all out, it would not power on.  There is not a whisper of power whatsoever.  How do I go about taking the laptop apart and find the problem?  Any suggestion would be appreciated.  Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Level 4
105 99 5 43
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you EVER spill water on a notebook computer, Hope it was OFF when you did, cause if it was on at the time it probably just became a paper weight. If it gets wet, you want to set it in an area with lots of air flow for like a month. Do not plug it in, take the battery out, no not attempt to power it on. You have to allow time for ALL moisture to evaporate out of it, then turn it back on.

In your case there is little hope i'm afraid, if water spills onto the motherboard then it is fried. The only solution is to replace the motherboard along with any other component that may have gotten fried, and you might as well purchase a new notebook. IF you are in Warranty and have accidental damage protection, then it should entitile you to a fix on it.

The First Sacred Law of Computers: Fast, Reliable, Cheap.....Pick Two The Second Sacred Law of Computers: Ask not of others that which may be easier found by Google The Third Sacred Law of Computers: Thou shalt not ask about an error message one did not bother to write down
Highlighted
Level 4
148 148 6 38
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
It is possible it's still ok, not damaged.  Taking a laptop apart is it's own topic, your service manual should detail that but basically you take the battery out, all normally removable panels off, unscrew the top cover above the keyboard from the rear, pop the top cover off and then take the keyboard out after releasing the lock-tab on the connector it's ribbon cable is plugged into.  Also unplug the CMOS battery, typically a round coin cell in a (black) shrink wrap, take out hard drive, optical drive, memory.  If you think water got into the screen then you will have to remove it where the hindges screw to the bottom then open it up to dry out too.  Pointing a fan at a closed screen that has water in it could take a long time to dry it out.

Having it that far apart, set it on it's side and point a desk fan at it for a couple days.  When it comes time to reassemble it, leave the hard drive and optical drive out for the time being since you just want to see if it powers on at all.  Hard drive and optical, if those have water inside it will take longer for them to dry and so they should only be reconnected after you have seen if the laptop powers on and runs till it can't find anything to boot from.  If it won't do that, no point in further assembly as you'll have to decide whether it's trash or worth rebuilding with replacement parts, but while the hard drive is out you can connect it to a desktop system to see if it works and retrieve any important data on it if it does.
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
44,714 38,171 3,354 14,105
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ouch,not good.but maybe a chance:

http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent/NACSC/SML/

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have  a HP Notebook. It was not turning onI sent it to HP repair center. They say that liquid has spilled on it but I know nothing spilled on it. I have kept it very neat and clean. . They do not listen saying that they can not do anythiong.  I do not want to pay for what i have not done.  Please help if somebody had similar problem

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi there, I had same problem with my uncle's pavilion dv6707us after I took the water out and and let it dry for a week I tried to turn it on I connected it directly to the power outlet and it turned on and was working well as nothing happened but when tried to put the battery on it just shuts off and again doesnt want to turn on by any methods does this means the battery is maybe bricked and I need a new battery? any ideas you guys can contribute are welcome thanks!! :generic:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
148 148 6 38
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

djchayan, your description of what is happening is not quite clear.  After you tried the battery and then took the battery back out, does it still not turn on running off of AC outlet power alone?

The notebook might still have some water in it, the water might have damaged something inside, or inside the battery, or the battery might still have water in it.  Since the battery cannot be opened, if the laptop runs without the battery installed then yes it seems you only need a new battery.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
no after I took it out it doesn't power up again not even with the outlet and the battery did not got any water on it when it happened.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
148 148 6 38
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Then it seems your laptop may be damaged.  In a past topic someone said holding in the power button (with power removed) for 30 seconds might help, and I would also keep both power sources unplugged and unplug the CMOS battery (probably under one of the bottom hatches covered in black shrink-wrap tubing) for 10 minutes, then plug it back in. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

CMOS battery is that the one that looks like a watch battery but bigger? may try this in a few but anyways had already planned to leave it alone again for a few days

thanks!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation