cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Help against heat shutdown

Pavilion m6 1000sg
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have the problem, that with a game (Life is Feudal) the graphics card runs very hot till the Laptop shuts down.

Now the basic problem is, that the game doesn't seem to be written so well as to use all the power of the graphics card.

But my question is, if I can somehow prevent those heat shutdowns?:

-) I know that the fan should be cleaned to have better heat management. Now how do i do that best with my notebook, so I really get everything out?

-) Is there a way to make the heat management give a warning signal, so I can exit the game BEFORE a heatshutdown occurs, so I can manually exit the game before it happens?

-) Is there a way to make the graphics card regulate itself, so it uses less power , and doesn't get so hot in the first place?

-) is there anything else I can try?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 359
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @DeusXIncognita

Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great place to ask questions, find solutions and get help from others in the community! I read your post on the HP Support Forums. I wanted to reach out to you and help! I understand that your HP Pavilion m6-1000sg Entertainment Notebook PC is shutting down while you are playing a game due to overheating. 

Do you have the Notebook ventilated? 

What do you sit your Notebook on when you are using it?

Is the fan noise louder or constantly spinning?

Have you done any updates using Windows Updates or the HP Support Assistant?

Here is a document for you called Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating.  

Updating your Notebook BIOS has been the solution for some, stopping apps from starting when the Notebook powers on for others. Some people have found that the Accepted Solution was simply doing another Windows Update.

Some of the steps that you need to perform are in the following headings:

Updating your Notebook computer BIOS - This document provides step by step instructions for you to follow. 

Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes: Services that you do not use (other than Microsoft services) can be shut down to minimize CPU usage.

Other steps that may help are under:

Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat

Selecting "power save" settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use

Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean: This is very important to make sure you do regularly. 

You can also try playing the game at a lower resolution and with decreased graphics settings. 

Please let me know if I answered your question by clicking the 'Thumbs up' if the troubleshooting steps in this post resolved the issue for you please click the 'Accept as Solution' button. This will allow other's who have the same issue to find the solution also. If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please just re-post with the results of the troubleshooting and your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?). 

Thanks! 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Highlighted
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay, so the first document you linked helped. (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01657439)

I found it before the answer came up here, since the matter was somehow urgent to me, but it really helped. Especially to understand why it won't work with a vacuum cleaner.

Blowing the sidevent (the only one) out with air was the main thing needed, although it didn't even look like much dust.

Could you please find an answer to those two subquestions too:

-) Is there a way to make the heat management give a warning signal, so I can exit the game BEFORE a heatshutdown occurs, so I can manually exit the game before it happens?

-) Is there a way to make the graphics card regulate itself, so it uses less power , and doesn't get so hot in the first place?

Since I am looking for future prevention of the problem too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 359
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @DeusXIncognita

You had asked: 

• Is there a way to make the heat management give a warning signal, so I can exit the game BEFORE a heat shutdown occurs, so I can manually exit the game before it happens
  • Is there a way to make the graphics card regulate itself, so it uses less power, and doesn't get so hot in the first place?

If you do not have HP CoolSense capabilities, unfortunately, there is no other way to  get a warning or have your Notebook use less power so that it does not overheat while playing games.

Did CoolSense come on your Notebook?

Have you checked to see if CoolSense will work on your Notebook?

This paragraph was taken from the Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating document. 

"HP CoolSense technology is a feature in some HP notebook computers that combines hardware, software, and mechanical design to dynamically manage the temperature of your notebook computer. HP CoolSense uses a motion sensor in your notebook computer to sense when your computer is being used in a stationary or mobile setting and automatically adjusts the computer performance and fan speed to keep the computer cool. You can set HP CoolSense software to your specifications. For more information, see HP Notebook PCs - HP CoolSense Technology." 

In the HP CoolSense Technology document under Frequently Asked Questions at the bottom, it says:

"HP CoolSense is not installed, nor is it supported, on all notebook computers. HP CoolSense software works only on HP computers and requires accelerometer and thermal control hardware. If your computer originally came with any version of HP CoolSense software pre-installed, your computer has the hardware necessary to support HP CoolSense Technology.
Attempting to download and install HP CoolSense software on a notebook computer that does not have HP CoolSense Technology will result in an error message. If you are not sure if you computer has the necessary hardware, you may attempt the download and installation. Attempting to install the CoolSense software on an HP notebook computer does not harm your computer."

I hope that this answers your questions. 

Thank you!
Have a great day! 
EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Highlighted
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

HP CoolSense  seems to be installed on my Notebook, and I am quite sure it came preinstalled.

Its Version 2.1

Unfortunatly, it doesn't seem to do anything temperature wise, and all I can do with it is turn it on or off (it is turned on).

@EmeraldAvenger wrote:

[...]

If you do not have HP CoolSense capabilities, unfortunately, there is no other way to  get a warning or have your Notebook use less power so that it does not overheat while playing games.

[...]

How do In configure HP CoolSense to give a warning sign prior to a heat shutdown?

Thanks for helping me more with this issue.

0 Kudos
Level 6
411 411 20 42
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No software will help you , if you keep using laptop like that you will destroy it , that i can tell for sure

You need to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rvIXHO6hzA

Buy some decent thermal paste like Arctic MX-2 and all will be well.

Как разобрать и почистить ноутбук своими руками
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation