Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
syncopation Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Help with the difference between the ENVY and Pavilion laptops?

I am in the market for a new HP laptop. I'm still using my first laptop, a Dell inspiron 1520 from 6 years ago. It's time for an upgrade. I need a machine that can handle programs like Photoshop and the programs for SMART Boards for my teaching job. Great audio quality is important to me, as well as an excellent webcam and built-in microphones (I use Skype every single night). I had to buy a webcam with a microphone for the Dell, and if I'm shelling out this kind of money I want to be sure the laptop comes with these already. Wireless capabilities are also a sticking point - I need to be able to grab a good range on a signal.

My budget is around $700, and no more than $800. With the coupon codes and the academic discount, I was able to narrow it down to two possibilities:

Pavilion

- Windows 7 Home

- 3rd generation  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)

- NVIDIA(R)  GeForce(R) GT 630M Graphics with 1GB GDDR3 memory [HDMI, VGA]

- HP TrueVision HD Webcam

ENVY

- Windows 8

- 3rd generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor (2.4GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)

- NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 630M Graphics with 1GB of dedicated video  memory

- HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated dual array digital microphone

The rest seems to be the same. Does this mean the ENVY comes with good microphones and the Pavilion does not? Also,  what is the difference in the body of a  Pavilion and an ENVY (I heard something about one having a backlit keypad and one not, I do have it with the backlit keyboard option, for the Skyping at night)? Also, I'm iffy about Windows 8. I don't know much about  it, but I have Windows 7 now and I like it. I heard that Windows 8 does away  with the start menu and desktop and is strange, and not a lot of people like it.  I'm also concerned about how compatable the Windows 8 will be with older  Windows, because any school I am working in will be on XP or 7, not Windows  8.

Is the ENVY a better machine?

Thank you for any help you can offer me. I'm lost as to what I do and don't need in a laptop, and there's so many kinds of HPs to pick from!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5461 5367 360 988
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Usually Envys are taken over Pavilion because they're faster and moreequipped to peoples life style.

I did find one that might fit you.

Take a look HERE.

HP ENVY dv6-7220us with win8

• Elegant design with large, bright screen, robust Intel 3rd gen performance
  • Operating system - Windows 8 64
  • Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-3210M (3.1 GHz/2.5 GHz )
  • Screen size - 17.3" diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit (1600 x 900)
  • Memory - 8 GB DDR3
  • Hard drive - 750 GB SATA (5400 rpm)

• Typically Smart Boards are connected with an HDMI cable I believe.

• This notebook beats audio so I don't believe you have to worry about audio quality.

• This has a webcam and a microphone along with the notebook so you're good on that.

Now, I can't give you an exact answer on wireless ranges for notebook because it depends on the router and how far it broadcast the signal. 

This notebook should be right under 800$ if not a little over ( Not to much though ).

"The rest seems to be the same. Does this mean the ENVY comes with good microphones and the Pavilion does not?"
As good as the wording seems on some specs, To be honest a Mic is a Mic and a web cam is a web cam. This webcam is a truelife, so you will be fine.

• "Also,  what is the difference in the body of a  Pavilion and an ENVY (I heard something about one having a backlit keypad and one not, I do have it with the backlit keyboard option, for the Skyping at night)?"

The Envy is a lot slimmer than the Pavilion. The backlight is available on the Envy so, yes you can use that while you are using Skype in the dark.

• "Also, I'm iffy about Windows 8. I don't know much about  it, but I have Windows 7 now and I like it. I heard that Windows 8 does away  with the start menu and desktop and is strange, and not a lot of people like it. "
Windows 8 is OK. Several people said the same thing about Win7 when it came out because they were comfortable with Vista at the time. 

Win8 isn't weird at all you still have the desktop just no start bar. You havewhat's called the charms bar which is the same exact thing.

Take a look HERE.

• " I'm also concerned about how compatable the Windows 8 will be with older  Windows, because any school I am working in will be on XP or 7, not Windows  8." 
Not sure what you're asking here. Are you asking if the programs your school provides you with will be compatible with Win8 ? Sorry, I'm not following that question.

• "Is the ENVY a better machine?" 

YES! The notebook is given *****5 STARS***** from the buyers.

I see  Pavilions usally as the Home notebook that you can just use for Facebook,Twitter and Common task.

The ENVY I see several Teachers, Businessmen and women using for work because mainly It's just alot faster than anything else, as well as the HP PROBOOK.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

THX 

BonnieLynn Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am interested in an HP laptop and want to know the difference between the Pavilion and the Envy
0 Kudos
Auntieb Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Difference between laptop and envy notebook
0 Kudos
HELP-me-PLZ Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow! This was So helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time answering ALL of her (and my) questions! AND for teaching me what a "Charms Bar" is! lol

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation