Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I use my laptop as a desktop most of the time.  How do I get it to startup without opening the lid.  The power button seems to be inactive when the lid is closed.  The item will be plugged in at the time.  

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Go to the power options and change what happens when the lid is closed after it is already powered on.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi HP,

Thank you for your input, the question was however "How can I power on with lid closed" which means a solution is still needed in terms of not having to open the lid to get started in the morning.

Hope there is a solution to this - the Power On  button is located on the side (for my comp), so really no need to open lid.

Many Thanks

Annette

HP Recommended

There is a physical magnetic switch that prevents powering a notebook on when the notebook is closed. It does not matter if the notebook was left open in tablet mode.

In order to power up a notebook from an off state, you would have to bypass the switch.

It can't be changed in software.

The BIOS expects the notebook to be normally opened in order to pass the  (POST) power on self test before it allows booting into Windows.

It appears that you are out of luck and should consider purchasing a  Windows tablet.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

There is a BIOS setting under Advanced | Boot Options:

Power on when AC detected.  This will turn on the laptop without the lid being opened.

Hope this helps

HP Recommended

Hi, I just bought a new 2018 HP Spectra X360 and I am not seeing this option in the bios. I do not see an "Advanced" section in the Bios. I use my laptop like a desktop at home connected to a docking station. I am hoping to be able to turn it on by pressing the power button and not having to open the lid.

HP Recommended

Hi, did you ever figure out how to do this? I do not see an "Advanced" section in the bios. I am using a 2018 HP Spectra X360 Convertable. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Stryker16

Don't worry. You are not missing something.

I happen to have a 2018 Spectre x360 for this year's product loan.

The other member must be referring to some other notebook.

The units you and I have do not have any Advanced section in the BIOS.

HP Recommended
It's not under Adbanced its under Boot Options
HP Recommended
It's not under Advanced its under Boot Options
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.