cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
14 13 0 14
Message 1 of 219
Flag Post

How can I turn off my touchpad on my new HP laptop computer

HP Recommended

Everytime I try to type something, I somehow hit the tocuhpad and it does crazy things to my screen. I want to turn it off easily.  Help

218 REPLIES 218
Highlighted
Level 4
Level 4
74 72 5 6
Message 2 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you are in win8, try this:  Control panel-->Mouse-->Device Settings, [Disable], then click OK. Thanks!

ET1111. I work for HP; I'm here to help
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
14 13 0 14
Message 3 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well that's OK if I wanted to disable my mouse, but what I am trying to do, is disable my TouchPad which is on the comptuer and real close to my hands when I type.  Sometimes when I type, I accidently touch the Touch Pad and what ever you are working on, can either go to a high font or to one you can't even see. 

The Touch Pad used to be on a F key, that you could just click on and it would disable the touch pad, there is no touch pad F Keys on any of HP's laptops that they are makeing now.  Who in the heck made this design change apparently doesn't know how to type or doesn't even use a laptop.

I need another answer, or this computer is going to be returned to where I bought my Brand New HP Pavilion 17 laptop.

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
14 13 0 14
Message 4 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I tried what you told me to do, with the Mouse and it did shut off my mouse.  Wrong answer.  Now I will try this again, HOW DO I SHUT OFF MY TOUCHPAD, not my Mouse.  I can't believe someone at HP can't figure this one out!!

I mean, HP bought this Laptop case from someone who doesn't know the first thing about typing on a laptop. 

They must be one finger typers.  For those of us who know how to type, this laptop case sucks!!  You have to rest your hands on the outside of the touchpad or lose most of your work, in a blink of an eye if you mistakenly touch the touchpad.

I have had this laptop for about 2 months now, most of the items on it work great, EXCEPT the touchpad!! 

I know in the future I will be looking for a laptop that still has a "F" key that can shut off the touchpad.  I'm sure it won't be a HP, unless they mend their ways. 

Unhappy HP buyer!

Highlighted
Level 4
45 45 0 34
Message 5 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same problem and hated losing my info while typing.  Well after 9 months I have finally found how to disable.  Hope this helps you......Go to your control panel,  click on Hardware and Sound.   Once there, under Device and Printers, click on Mouse.  A small box (Mouse Properties) will open up.  Click on the "ClickPad Settings Tab". Once there you will click on "ClickPad Disable".  A small box will open up letting you know that you are about to disable the only active Synaptics pointing device, just click OK. You will then want to click apply, then OK.  Voila!  That should take care of it.  If you ever need to enable it just follow the above steps and enable the clickpad.  For some reason HP has called the Touchpad, "ClickPad.

Highlighted
Level 1
1 1 0 7
Message 6 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I made an account just to reply and say thanks for posting this I got it figured out pretty quick after reading your post. Kuddos

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
14 13 0 14
Message 7 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Wow, Thaks for all the replies, I can't wait to try them, I am on my iPad right now. Thanks again, I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem!

Denny
Highlighted
Level 4
45 45 0 34
Message 8 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are welcome.  I am happy to help.

Highlighted
Level 4
45 45 0 34
Message 9 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Glad it worked.:smileywink:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
45 45 0 34
Message 10 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am glad you can finally go in and disable the Clickpad/touchpad.  I lost a lot of work while in school because of that touchpad.  I have not enabled it since.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation