Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I'm also having this issue. I have a pavilion dv6, can someone please tell me the order of the menu that comes up after you press F4??? Thanx..
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a HP Envy 4 Ultrabook and have bought an extra monitor so that I can have two screens to work with. The extra monitor that I have bought only has VGA port and my laptop can only support HDMI. So i purchased a cable that can can connect to my VGA montor and the other end has HDMI for my laptop. Once I connected my laptop to the extra monitor, the screen on my extra monitor says "VGA  no Signal". I have already tried to adjust my Display settings but it still doesnt work.

Can you please help me find a solution to this?

Thanks,

Allen

HP Recommended

@mls_contreras12 When you press F4, you should see a screen with 4 options (Disconnect, Duplicate, Extend and Projector Only) Do you see those options? 

If not you can

1. Connect your second monitor while the computer is on

2. Right-click anywhere on the desktop and click Screen Resolution

3. Click Detect

4. Change Multiple Displays to Extend if you want to have an extra wide screen, Duplicate if you want to see the same image on both screens.

Let me know if you have questions on that 🙂

HP Recommended

@Allen_Yu Try a different cable. Cables these days can really be hit or miss, especially with the less expensive ones. I had to replace an HDMI cable the other day for that reason. It was just a cheap cable.  

Also if you can't try a different cable, try that cable on a different TV or monitor or a different computer. Let me know what you find 🙂

HP Recommended
Ok, everything was working fine before I restarted my computer while it was rebooting to new now when I try to hook up to the external monitor via hdmi or VGA it does nothing, also everything 10 seconds the computer reboots itself, can somebody please help?
HP Recommended

@MrWaters31

I'm sorry you're running into this issue. I think the primary concern is the computer rebooting every 10 seconds. The no display issue is another symptom of whatever is causing it to reboot. 

It could be that a component needs to be reseated, the RAM sticks or processor. It could also be that either the fan cable is not seated properly or the thermal paste between the heat sink and processor has dried.

I would first suggest reseating the RAM. If you have more than one stick, try each one individually in each slot. Also, check the fan cable. Disconnect it and reconnect it to make sure it snaps into place properly. Once you've done those let me know the results when you get a chance please 🙂

HP Recommended

I have an HP  G62 laptop and an Acer 22-inch monitor. I want to have the larger monitor working. What do i do?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I am having trouble connecting my Pavilion g4 to an external monitor. Running Windows 7 64 bit. I have read the above solutions to the problem. I tried fn + f4. I tried "Detect" under Screen Resolution and it does not find another screen. This has happened once before (few months ago) and I attributed it to the old monitor I tried to connect to. Now I am using a new monitor that I have had another laptop running on (Lenovo g580). It is exactly the same setup I just moved the 15 pin plug to the Pavilion g4. Every time I plug it in to the Pavilion "No Signal" pops up on the external. I think it can be concluded it is something with the computer. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Outstanding advice. connected the first time and what a difference on the larger, external monitor.

Worked like a charm. Thanks, Fayesguy

HP Recommended

My computer is able to detect the monitor and it functions normally, but the monitor screen is not displaying anything. When I turn it on it flashes "No Signal" and then goes into some sleep mode almost immediately. I can move items between the two screens, but nothing shows up on the second screen. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.