cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RPenn
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

How do I totaly wipe a HP Pavilion dv4?

HP Recommended

My wife's Pavilion dv4 is really messed up. Office Depot couldn't fix it but suggested that totaly wipe out the operating system and restore it. She doesn't care about recovering files. She also never made any recover disks. She is running Vista. How do I wipe her laptop clean and restore it like it was when it came out of the box?

Thanks in advace for any assistance.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
muka3D
Level 7
Level 7
467 467 50 148
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hey RPenn,

You have a couple of options:

1. Order recovery disks by calling HP Support, and then use those to restore the unit back so it's like the day you bought it.

2. Use the Windows Vista installation disc that may have come with your unit. If you put the disc in the drive, restart the computer, it should boot to the disc and allow you to do a clean installation of Windows. Then you get download the drivers & software for your system from HP.com, and you'll be good to go!
___
I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
Jeffken
Level 2
10 8 2 2
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

When the computer starts you can press the "F11" key. This would take you to the recovery partition wizard from where you can "reset" the computer to factory defaults. Be sure to push the "F11" key before the laptop boots in to Windows so power on the laptop en keep pressing (ticking not continuous) "F11".

Regards,

Jeffken

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation