cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Tom_Galenson
Level 2
30 24 1 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

How long should a battery last on this model?

HP 3105m Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The reviews seem to claim that this Notebook (HP 3105m) will last upto 8.5 hours on an automated battery run down test.

Apparently it using WiFi, opening a website using the default browser, wait 30 seconds, close browser.  wait 30 seconds, open another website etc.  The test loop uses 50 different website and then starts over.  Runs till the machine hibernates due to low power on the battery.

According to the HP Assistant my battery is in "perfect" shape.  Yet, I am averaging maybe 4 hours to a flat battery.

Is there a publically accessiable battery run down test that is exactly similar to the above?  Or is it even reasonable to presume this machine will get upto 8.5 hours on a battery?

Tom

///
"Without [public] Data, you are just another person with an Opinion." W. Edward Demings, Data Scientist
---
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts." Senator and Professor Patrick Moynihan
---
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Level 19
Level 19
78,322 78,221 9,641 20,841
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@Tom_Galenson wrote:

..  Or is it even reasonable to presume this machine will get upto 8.5 hours on a battery?

Hi,

No, all vendors (I repeat all) can claim many things but for batteries on laptops, the best you can get for LIGHT tasks is around 80% to 85%. Doing more works will reduce time between charge dramatically.

Hope this makes sense.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Level 11
11,219 2,184 436 152
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@Tom_Galenson wrote:

The reviews seem to claim that this Notebook (HP 3105m) will last upto 8.5 hours on an automated battery run down test.

Apparently it using WiFi, opening a website using the default browser, wait 30 seconds, close browser.  wait 30 seconds, open another website etc.  The test loop uses 50 different website and then starts over.  Runs till the machine hibernates due to low power on the battery.

According to the HP Assistant my battery is in "perfect" shape.  Yet, I am averaging maybe 4 hours to a flat battery.

Is there a publically accessiable battery run down test that is exactly similar to the above?  Or is it even reasonable to presume this machine will get upto 8.5 hours on a battery?

Tom

There is no such thing as 8.5 hours those "In House" and "Control testing" are not reality based usage. Most I seen are far less then they say they can go for and they probaby stripped down the software installs to get the best battery hour usage. I seen my usage the best 3 hours and least Gaming Laptop 1.5 hours. Once you start loading your laptop those hours they posted will go down drastically they never achieve what they said it will do. If you can get your battery to hit 4-5 hours that is good-if your not gaming that is or CPU intensive apps then consider the battery drain to be extreme.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
0 Kudos
Tom_Galenson
Level 2
30 24 1 1
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi, 

The testing I am describing was by a Laptop type magazine.  It wasn't "in house" testing.  So my question remains, HP Assistant says my battery is "good".  But it runs maybe 4 hours before it quits.

Given the magazine report, is my battery bad or good?

Tom

///
"Without [public] Data, you are just another person with an Opinion." W. Edward Demings, Data Scientist
---
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts." Senator and Professor Patrick Moynihan
---
0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
40,562 40,349 6,327 11,024
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You are saying that Laptop magazine in its review of your laptop said they got 8.5 hours out of the battery using "their" test and you are only getting about 4. You do understand that Laptop magazine is a shill for the industry, right? 4 hours is very good. Based on the reviews I have seen you are getting as good a battery life as it can give. 

Highlighted
Tom_Galenson
Level 2
30 24 1 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@Huffer wrote:

You are saying that Laptop magazine in its review of your laptop said they got 8.5 hours out of the battery using "their" test and you are only getting about 4. You do understand that Laptop magazine is a shill for the industry, right? 4 hours is very good. Based on the reviews I have seen you are getting as good a battery life as it can give. 

Are you claiming all Laptop magazines are "shills" or just one?  I have found a number of them to be pretty reliable overall. And they were citing a pretty specific test that could be replicated.

I will admit, both of my notebooks appear to be at the 4 hour level.  I also have a Chromebook that was reported to run up to 10-12 hours and it does run up to 10-12 hours.

Oh well, sold one notebook and am playing with the other.  Thank you for your time.

Tom

///
---
---
0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
40,562 40,349 6,327 11,024
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I think Laptop is the name of a specific magazine often on sale in airports.  

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation