cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
E526 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How to disable CTRL+ALT+S on Win8

I have an HP notebook (Pavilion 17 or something) with Windows 8 64-bit.

I mainly use it (and primarily bought it) to play video games.

The shortcut CTRL+ALT+S (which opens system information) interferes with playing video games as I use those keys when doing so and far too often at the same time.

How do I disable the CTRL+ALT+S shortcut?

I mean besides a clean install of Windows without any HP programs, obviously.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1,446 1,360 112 268
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Refer the lik below..Even though it is for desktop but the steps are same..

Pressing CTRL + ALT + S Opens a Support Information Window

If you are unable to dothe above then try this..

Open Windows Explorer==> Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\HP Help and Support

Next Right Click on the Support Information and click Properties==>Click on the Shortcut Key box and delete Ctrl+Alt+S and then click apply and ok.

If unable to see the above path then enable View Hidden Files as shown in the link below:

Windows 8 How To:  Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives

0 Kudos
E526 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That folder only seems to contain shortcuts to:

HP Documentation

HP Support Assistant

Neither of which have keyboard shortcuts set.

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1,446 1,360 112 268
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Uninstall the application called HP System Utility from Control Panel..Restart and check again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jdk21 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello parvez_tech! I've been trying to solve this issue as well - and unfortunately for many days without success. I tried the last one - unistalled HP System Utility - but it is the same.

The only but very partial solution I've found is to:

- create shortcut from the "Start" (ROcket?) menu to the desktop of "HP SYstem Informatio"

- then right-click on the icon

- then delete CTRL+ALT+S as the shortkey

After it has been done, it works. Unfortunately - only till the next restart of the computer!

How to make it work, ie. diable this permanently?

It's really annoying and time consuming to do it every time!

I've been trying to locate any suggestion on this forum or in internet - without success so far.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Jakub

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8,367 6,291 358 763
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @jdk21,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how you are looking to disable the CTRL + ALT + S combination on your notebook computer, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To disable this combination, I recommend performing a clean boot on your computer. This can be done by following the steps in this document on How to perform a clean boot in Windows. This should help boot your system with a minimal set of drivers and software, enabling your system to keep the settings changed with the keyboard combination.

If the issue continues, I recommend following the steps below by proceeding to this file location:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\HP Help and Support

Right click HP Support Information
Click properties

Click the box next to shortcut key

Hit backspace so the field says 'none'
Apply

Done!

(Note, If you can't access the folder above you need to show hidden & system files. In a file explorer window click the view tab at the top, then click options on the right, select 'change folder and search options' if prompted. go to the view tab in the popup. check show hidden files, folders, drives. uncheck hide protected operating system files. apply)

reference: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-Software-Recovery/How-to-disable-Alt-S-shortc...

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
E526 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say with:

"To disable this combination, I recommend performing a clean boot on your computer. This can be done by following the steps in this document on How to perform a clean boot in Windows. This should help boot your system with a minimal set of drivers and software, enabling your system to keep the settings changed with the keyboard combination."

Especially the "keep the settings changed" part while that solution doesn't seem to tell me to change anything.

The other solution appears to be the exact same one parvez_tech gave (which didn't work because the file doesn't exist in that map).

I seem to have found a sort of solution as the CTRL+ALT+S combination can apparently only be asigned to one action and any other action it's assigned to seems to take precedence over opening system information.

So assigning the combination to a shortcut to something that opens in the background will at least prevent the combination from minimising what I've got open at the moment, Steam seems to work well for me.

It'd also be best for it to be a shortcut to something that can only be open once as otherwise you might have to close a lot of windows after whatever you are doing that causes you to press those keys.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to make an icon that can have a keyboard combination assigned to it as shortcut but not actually do anything (meaning the icon shouldn't do anything)?

If that is possible that would probably be the best solution apart from a clean Windows install or HP patching something.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation