cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
9 5 1 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

How to enable AHCI on my Pavillion m7 1015dx, conflicting information.

HP Recommended

I have a Pavillion m7  1015dx with windows 7. I installed a Samsung 840 pro series 512gb SSD as my primary with a clean install of Windows 8 and made my 1tb HDD as my secondary drive. My BIOS is insyde H2O F22 and is very limited and I can't determine if my storage controller is set to AHCI. All of the forums I read say most recent laptops are defaulted to AHCI. However when I run the Magician software that came with the Samsung SSD is states "AHCI is not Enabled" and my read/write bencmarks are 519/480 mb/s respectively, when this drive is advertised 540/520 mb/s. Also when I run PC Matic that recognizes SSD's also states AHCI is not enabled. Which am I to believe??? If it is not enabled how can I enable AHCI. If it is enabled why would these two other programs state it wasn't enabled??? Even though the read/write speeds aren't as advertised it boots up in about 10 sec, same with shutdown. My concern is with the life of the drive and if TRIM is enabled properly.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,404 41,651 4,554 11,995
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 7 and Windows 8 take care of trim on their own when SSD drives are detected,  so you do not need to worry about it.  Microsoft took care of that for you.

This Microsoft Fixit should take care of it. This is the link to the web document that also has manual  install instructions involving the registry edit.

Best regards,

erico

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
9 5 1 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. Do you have any idea why those other two programs state AHCI is not enabled, I don't expect you know the answer on that just wondering. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Ruby4670 wrote:

Thanks. Do you have any idea why those other two programs state AHCI is not enabled, I don't expect you know the answer on that just wondering. Thanks again.

Those programs are looking at specific registry keys in the operating system to see if they are enabled.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

That is why they tell you it is not enabled.

The following image is from the desktop I am using which has an SSD as a boot drive. AHCI drivers are installed and enabled.

ahci4.png

Best regards,
erico

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
9 5 1 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't see my reply so I'll post again.

So what your saying is my system is set properly and I don't need to make any changes, correct?

Just for discussion purposes: I followed your registry diagram on my computer and traced it to "iaStorV" and noticed two differences based on your diagram and a websit "iTD" on how to switch to AHCI mode in Windows 8. My iaStorV entry "ErrorControl" entry is set to "1" yours "3" and my StartOverride  entry "0" is set to "3"

Here is the iTD website http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-8-after-installation/  I never followed through with the changes in the registry because I am not able switch AHCI in my BIOS "Insyde h2o" and I don't like making any changes in the registry unless I'm 100%

I pasted the article below for your review. Your thoughts? If any changes are warrented if not I'll consider this solved.

What is AHCI and why should you care?

AHCI ( Advanced Host Controller Interface ) offers native command queuing and hot plugging through SATA host controllers (Serial-ATA) for hard drives. In simpler terms, there’s no reason you shouldn’t use it.

So, how do you enable it? Do you have to reinstall Windows 8 again?

No. You can enable it without losing any data.

Enabling AHCI in Windows 8 requires going through the registry ( yes, it’s still there! ) but it’s slightly different than how it was done in Windows Vista and Windows 7. You still have to modify a registry key but the key is different now. Follow the guide below to enable AHCI in but make sure that you’ve backed up your data as well as registry, just in case.

1. Exit all applications
  2. Go to the start screen and type in regedit.
  3. If you see the UAC (User Account Control) dialogue box, just click continue.
  4. Locate the the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\

5. Locate the Error Control entry which should have a value of 3. Right-click on the entry name, select Modify, change the value from 3 to 0 and click OK.
  6. Open the StartOverride folder and locate an entry named 0 with a value of 3. Change the value to 0 by following the procedure in step 5.
  7. Restart and enable AHCI in your system BIOS

Quick Alternate Method

If you don’t feel safe playing with your registry like I don’t with a neighbor’s dog ( except that I can handle a messed up registry but not a messed up dog ), I suggest you download the registry file I’ve uploaded here. Just extract the .reg extension file from the compressed folder and run it and restart your computer. Do the obligatory AHCI switch on from your system BIOS and you’re good to go.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would not download a registry key file that is from another PC  and merge it with mine. There is just no way I would even consider doing that. That would be settting yourself up for a broken operating system and that would not be fun.

Best regards,

erico

I am not an HP Employee.

Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
945 934 45 145
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm with erico on this, it's your Notebook and you can do as you please, but you need to way the benefits against the potential downside.

it's kind of like overclocking, yes you may get some benifits, but you can also kill your PC, a potentially expensive experiment.

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

rykiah 11 webster is and not  go to love you and i love ms. r

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation