Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Polenta Tutor
Tutor
16 1 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How to install Windows 10 on Pavilion x2 with new SSD (upgraded from 64 GB to 256 GB)

Pavilion x2 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a 256 GB Sandisk SSD (the correct type for my Pavilion x2 Notebook) and want to replace the current 64 GB HP SSD in my machine.  After considering the cloning option (which would mean getting cloning software and an adapter to migrate the image to the new SSD), I have determined that probably the better approach is to install Windows 10 on the new SSD after I have installed it.  Can anyone provide guidance?  Suggestions?  For instance, when I check the boot sequence (which I assume I would have to set to USB)  I don't see a clear option, just one for a USK Key or device).  I would want it to boot from the USB in which I would connect a Windows 10 install.

Notwithstanding the Key activation issues, I would appreciate some insight into how I can accomplish this.  I like this Pavilion x2, but the 64 GB SSD really is too small.

Polenta.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16475 1325 2285
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How to install Windows 10 on Pavilion x2 with new SSD (upgraded from 64 GB to 256 GB)

@Polenta

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service!

As I understand you need assistance in installing the windows 10 on your X2 notebook after the SSD upgrade you've recently done and I'll be more than glad to assist you, however, I need a few details about the issue to provide an accurate solution (Just to confirm):

1. Are you replacing the SSD or Adding an addition 256GB to your current storage? (In my opinion, it would be rather easy to use the 256gb SSD as an external storage)
  2. You are right about getting the OS installed first and then attempting the cloning, please go ahead.
  3. Do you have a recovery media kit from HP in order to install the windows on your new SSD?
    (since cloning would not copy the activation key as the OEM is designed to be locked to the hardware they were originally installed on).
    you could either use the recovery media you created shortly after your computer was purchased, if you haven't created one, please purchase one at the official HP website.

Let me know, what you'd like to do and I will assist you accordingly!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Polenta Tutor
Tutor
16 1 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I went ahead and had the SSD cloned to the new 256 Gb SSD and will install it shortly.  Meaning I will remove the cover from the tablet part of the Pavilion x2 and swap the SSDs.

But if I understand you correctly, I will have a problem with activating the OS (Windows 10).  Since I had upgraded from the original 8.1 and did not really want to have to re-install 8.1 then upgrade to Windows 10, I made the choice to clone the current system onto the new SSD.  My machine is no longer under warranty, by the way, which is why I am taking these steps - including opening up the machine to make the swap.  From what I have read - including on the HP forums, there is a possibility the OS will activate.  I guess I will have to see.  If I have an issue, I will deal with Microsoft.  Replacing the SSD (basically the "hard drive" - does not constitute a major hardware change but since the original SSD was an HP device and originally contained a system recovery partition (which I deleted long ago to get more storage space (I was having problems with updates because I didn't have enough free storage), you may well be right and my system may warn me that the OS is not activated.  In which case I will have to purchase a Windows 10 Key.

However, considering how much money it has cost me to do this upgrade (120 US for the SSD, 70 US for the cloning), I am still ahead if I have to pay another 110US for a key.

I will let you know if the activation issue comes up and whether Microsoft will allow the current BIOS key to activate.

Polenta.

0 Kudos
Polenta Tutor
Tutor
16 1 1
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have replaced the original 64 GB SSD on my Pavilion x2 with the 256 GB one, which contains a clone of the system.  The machine started up fine and a check of the system shows Windows 10 is validated (just as I suspected it should be).

My Pavilion x2 is a good product from HP.  As I understand it, it was a collaboration with Microsoft that was possibly a prototype or a test for some of the newer products we see coming out now that combine tablet and laptop.  Yes, the tablet part is a bit weighty which makes opening the laptop somewhat tricky (you need two hands) and its a bit "tippy".  But its also nice to have a full keyboard included (not a separate product to buy) and its well built generally.

My only gripe was the small size of the SSD, but considering the price of SSDs when the Pavilion first came out it is understandable that the Pavilion only came with 32, 64 or (enterprise level) 128 GB options.  Since the price of SSDs has gone down and as the prices continue to drop, I am quite sure SSDs are the future of laptops and PCs anyway.

I chose to purchase an SSD from a different source than HP simply because of the price and the limited size.  I fail to see why I should have to purchase a new liecense when I have already paid for one in the original machine.  My machine is no longer on warranty so there really is no point in going through HP just for the SSD.  However, I intend on seeing how well this machine now performs and keeps up with the increasing demands of laptops, if only to confirm that this product, for all its shortcomings, is a great example of how HP manufactures excellent products.

Should I encounter an issue with the valdation of my OS, I wll of course, report this on this forum.

Polenta 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16475 1325 2285
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Polenta

Thank you for replying to my post!

I'm glad it worked out well and I appreciate the feedback you've provided for your computer, I'll be glad to assist you in the future,

Although! fingers crossed, I hope you don't have any issues with the OS validation and if you do you can always use the recovery media you may have created on your computer shortly after it was purchased using the Recovery Media creation tool.

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.

Have a good day, Ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Polenta Tutor
Tutor
16 1 1
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

If I use the recovery tool, it means I install Windows 8.1 and then have to go through the time-consuming process of upgrading to Windows 10.  I hope it doesn't come to that although at least with 8.1, my Beats audio would work properly again.

I just hope I can work out things without having to go through that process, which, I must say seems like a lot of trouble to validate an OS which is after all valid.

Polenta.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16475 1325 2285
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Polenta

You're right it is a bit time consuming to complete the task, however, that seems to be the only fix available,

Unless you would prefer downloading the updates directly from the HP official website for Softwares and downloads instead, as a workaround.

here's the link: www.hp.com/drivers 

let me know what you'd like to do and I'll be glad to help.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Polenta Tutor
Tutor
16 1 1
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the advice and offer to help.  However, at this time, I am satisfied with the course I have chosen.  If and when I have problems validating Windows 10, I will deal with Microsoft and I will point out the following:

Windows 10 will not update unless there is sufficient space on the primary storage device (i.e. the SSD).  Had I chosen to buy an external SSD and "slave" it to my laptop, it would not have solved the problem for the following reasons:

Apps do not update unless they are installed on the primary storage device

The OS will not update unless there is enough space on the primary storage device.

In other words, though Microsoft wants Windows 10 on all PCs and laptops, unless those PCs or laptops have sufficient storage space the OS will not update properly, if at all.  This effectively makes a high number of PCs and laptops obsolete, forcing the consumer to buy a new one and at the same time (since most PCs and laptops now come with an internal Key) a new copy of Windows.  This means countless perfectly good machines with valid Keys are forced to go to the trash heap.

Slaving an external drive (or even using the SD card provided on my Pavilion x2) does not solve this problem.  The only way to solve the problem is to change the primary drive to one with sufficient space.  As soon as I installed the 256 GB SSD, my computer finally updated a number of Microsoft products (Microsoft Office for example) as well as finally being able to install a number of Windows OS updates, that had been "in a loop" for some time now.

This is not an HP issue.  This is a Microsoft issue.  I contend that changing my primary storage drive was rendered necessary because of Windows 10 and since Microsoft is gradually coercing everyone to upgrade to Windows 10, I could n ot even consider re-installing 8.1 because Microsoft would "encourage" me to upgrade.  If Microsoft has produced an OS that effectively renders storage below 128 GB (I mean having sufficient free space on the drive), in  this day and age of large graphics files, digital music, streaming and so on, then they cannot in all good conscience, invalidate the OS when a consumer makes the necessary changes to accomodate the new requirement.

Unless HP is prepared to give me a new Pavilion with an SSD that can handle Windows 10, what I have done is reasonable and should not cost me over a hundred dollars for a new Key (unless HP would like to provide me one).

Polenta

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation