cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
karex
Level 1
11 9 0 0
Message 1 of 20
Flag Post

Solved!

How to know all original HW built in to my HP?

HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook, PN FV807EA#UUW. I have installed a new OS: Windows7 Ultimate as I was having a lot of trouble with the previous version (someone at HP service installed a Beta version of the OS by mistake and I only found this out after the warranty period was over and I suddenly received a message from Microsoft that my OS wasn't genuine, obviously since the expiration date for the Beta must have run out). In any case, I was forced to purchase a genuine license key. Having fixed that problem, I am still left with two chronic problems I have been struggling with for months:

1. Windows Explorer crashes every time I try to access the C: drive

2. The Devices and Printers screen freezes at about 90% loading and I can't see the devices I have installed.

I have looked through countless forums and followed every advice for both problems to no avail. So I decided to clean install the OS from scratch. I have all my data in external drives, that's no problem. I also know all the apps I have installed and can re-install. What worries me are the SW and drivers for all the HW that was built in to my laptop. How do I even know what's in there and how can I re-install those so my computer works as it should? Will simply installing HP Assistant do the trick?

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,984 120,161 19,671 30,057
Message 2 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You posted the serial number, not the product number. Please edit your post and remove the serial number.

The part number is the other number on the sticker.

Enter that in the box at the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

You should now be presented with the specific model number of your dv7. On the right side of the page is a link labeled Product Information. Click on that. Then there should be a link labeled product specifications. Click on that. Now you should be presented with a list of all the hardware and software that came installed on your model PC.

Remember that there is an order in which to install drivers for best results. Reboot after installation of each of the first 3.

1  Chipset

2 Graphics

3 Audio

4 Network.

Anything else

If you are missing devices, rather than installing drivers willy-nilly, hoping one of them will do the trick (such as for the wireless network card, as there can be one of several models installed in your PC), just click on each device needing drivers in the device manager.

Then click on the details tab. In the Properties drop down list, select the second item (Hardware ID's). Post the top string of characters you see in the window.

Those will ID the specific type and model of the device and that makes it much easier to find the right drivers for them.

Paul

Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
31,143 30,844 2,826 10,330
Message 3 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Karex,

The information Paul gave you is practical, useful, and on-the-money for what you need to get your system in order and up-to-date.  You can download and install the important updates to get your system running more smoothly.

I am going to give you a place to look for "All Things Computer", that is - everything you have in your dv7, in detail.  The information is good to have, and you might want to make screen shots of some of it (email to yourself for later reference).

Control Panel > icon view > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools >

View Advanced System details in System Information

Feast your eyes on everything you have on your system.... It is not intended that you use this information for updates.  This is for reference; the information is quite detailed.

Back up one page (up to Advanced Tools) and you can Click into Generate a system health report.  If you have not done this, it is interesting and can be useful.  NOTE:  The embedded Security check is unable to detect some Anti-Virus software packages and may complain - just ignore it.

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” for the Help by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Good Fortune!  Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

karex
Author
Level 1
11 9 0 0
Message 4 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paul,

WOW! Thanks! I had no idea that there is a specific order for installation and that I should restart after each. I would probably have done it the wrong way.

I have edited my original message and now it should show the Product ID?

I will try the solution this coming weekend, when I have time do be able to do it properly and with no rush. 

Thanks again!

Karen

0 Kudos
karex
Author
Level 1
11 9 0 0
Message 5 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur,

Thanks for the tips! I know that there are a lot of "bells and whistles" installed on my PC, so it will be great to know exactly what they are!

I will also generate a system health report before, and one after to see what/if there is a difference. Indeed, this will be very interesting!

I will follow your instructions to the letter this coming weekend and then post back results.

Thanks again,

Karen

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Karen.

I have posted the link to your specific model number based on the product number you posted.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3819799&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&query=%20FV807EA&tool=

And here is the direct link to the product specs for your model which shows what hardware and software it comes with.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01580666=

Best Regards,

Paul

karex
Author
Level 1
11 9 0 0
Message 7 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Paul! I have now bookmarked all the links. I just need to go through the list of all the apps that I installed one more time and then I should be ready for the big step.

Karen

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 8 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Karen.

Remember that we are here to assist if you get stuck with something.

Paul

0 Kudos
karex
Author
Level 1
11 9 0 0
Message 9 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The information from both my "supporters" were real gems, thanks so much! I have all the basic drivers installed, and my computer is working great, the two chronic problems I had been experiencing are now gone, which goes to show that sometines even though it is a lot of work, it usually takes less time to do a clean install than to troubleshoot for months...

I only had one glitch, and that was with the fingerprint scanner. I downloaded the SW for Digital Persona and installed it. I was careful to restart the computer after installation. It now shows the option at the log-in screen, but starts "detecting device" and is unable to. So I have to log in manually and as soon as I'm "in" I receive a message that Digital Persona device is installed and working properly, however it is unable to detect it when I start up. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Karen

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 10 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Karen:

Did you also install the Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-81788-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

This is the link to the Windows 7 version of the Digital Persona Fingerprint Reader Software:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-82207-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Paul

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation