cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
11 9 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How to know if my dv9790eb has a defective nVidia GPU?

dv9790eb
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hi,

I have an old HP dv9790eb with an NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS, which alot of people complain having problems with in something called the nVidia defective GPU issue. How can i know if my laptop has a defective nVidia GPU?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 6
411 411 20 42
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Basicly if screen shows OK , then it means your gpu is OK , these nvidia cards dont like heat , and you need to take a very good care of them , otherwise they die very easily.

Highlighted
Level 1
11 9 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@T4M wrote:

Basicly if screen shows OK , then it means your gpu is OK , these nvidia cards dont like heat , and you need to take a very good care of them , otherwise they die very easily.

Thanks for the reply.. you say to take very good care of them so what can i do exactly?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
411 411 20 42
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Make sure it doesnt overheat and service laptop at least 1 time per year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
11 9 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@T4M wrote:

Make sure it doesnt overheat and service laptop at least 1 time per year.

What service does a latop need each year? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
411 411 20 42
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Complete dismantle of laptop , cleaning dust and replacing thermal paste.

Of course u dont need to replace thermal paste every year , but keep it clean is very important.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation