Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Do you have the original hard disk installed? 

I saw where you made mention of a 128 GB SSD, but did not say you had swapped it with the original hard disk.

If you are installing the original operation as a clean install, you will need to enter the BIOS. In the BIOS you can load the HP default keys so the Windows 8 installer will use the OS license key that your notebook was delivered with.

From everything I have read and been told by HP Insiders, a minimum size of 160GB is required to be able to use the recovery media(usb or DVD) on a reaplcement hard disk or SSD.  SSD  disks usually need to be prepped before use unless you are cloning and using appropriate software for that. (see the SSD manufacturers support website) 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

First, I dont know how the subject line got switched to the other thread. IT is confusing.

I tried the usb stick with just the .bin file, and starting with WIndows and B key. Seems no effect, just a blank screen when I started with them held down. The second time I got the Bood Device Not Found, F2 for Diagnostics text.

I do the hard disk check, and I get the SMART Check Not installed, neither is the  SHORT DST installed.

Note this is the second replacement HD that is giving me this message, but I removed the first replacement, and it was fine in another computer. I havent removed the second replacement to see if it is ok or not.

So I suspect the BIOS or EUFI or mstat drive is messed up. I tried using the HP Recovery disks, I get these errors:

"Selected boot image did not Authenticate, press enter to continue" - perhaps because I had Secure boot on

and on another attempt

"Recovery not supported under current configuration. please enable acceleration option for Intel Smart Response Technology and try again."

But how do I enable it? I can;t seem to find the right time to press Ctrl-I to start it up at boot.

I previously tried to install Windows 7, I wonder if that messed up something.

I do not have the original disk. But I do have the Factory recovery disks now.

HP Recommended

OK. I merged one of your posts into this one to take out some of the confusion factor.  🙂

What is the storage capacity and hard disk type (SSD or legacy spinner disk) that is in the notebook now?

You can use the simplified method that I described to fix the BIOS issue if it still exists. If the hard disk is and SSD and smaller than 160 GB, the recovery disk set won't work.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the merge and reply.

I dont quite see your simplified method. I do see:

If you are installing the original operation as a clean install, you will need to enter the BIOS. In the BIOS you can load the HP default keys so the Windows 8 installer will use the OS license key that your notebook was delivered with.

(Yes I am trying a clean install with HP factory disks. But no place to enter HP default keys in BIOS.)

I do have a 1TB drive now (original was a 750GB)  The result... still no good. But I was able to put in a boot disk and run

diskpart, and list disk, and the disk is not there!

I wonder if all of my problems are from a bad internal SATA cable, because when I take out the hard drive from the broken HP, the hard drives all seem fine. And that would explain the hard disk tests failing (SMART not installed) on the HP m6 ...

Or the UEFI and or BIOS is messed up. So how do I get the BIOS to lists the disks it sees on the HP m6 1125dx? Perhaps if I upgrade the bios from F.11 to latest F.25 (or something) I will have better options in the BIOS to see what I have.

I did try downloading the SP....exe file, unzipping and getting the .fd file, renaming extension to .bin, putting it in a USB stick into a USB port  one of (several tried) USB ports, and rebooting with Windows B, but all I get is a black screen, for many seconds, almost a minute, then I give up. Later I check and the bios is the same version number (at least it still works!) I try the Ctrl-i to get the Intel Smart Responce software to run to check my disks, but that never seems to start, Im not hitting the Ctrol-i at the right time, or does it need Legacy disabled? I think I tried various permutations.

HP Recommended

The simplified method to update the BIOS is on the second page of this thread. 

I put some images to show what you should see after you doubleclick on a BIOS softpaq in the second PC.

From your further description of the issue, it would seem to be a good idea to get someone who knows what they are doing to take a look at your notebook's hardware. I have gathered that you are not really that knowlegeable on PCs and notebook hardware configuration setups over the course of this thread, by your responses and posts. That is OK. Not everyone is. Sometimes it is worth it to pay a pro to take a look. 

HP Recommended

This is a great, simpler solution, but it doesnt work. I repost:

• This looks promising, but when I execute the sp66782 file, I dont get anything, just an error message. If it unpacks it somewhere, I dont see it, either on desktop or a temp directory. It gives me these error messages,
  •  
  • IHISI: Get support mode  fail in SMI
  • BIOS did not support InsydeFlash
  •  
  • which, since I run this on a non HP laptop, it is not surprizing that I get an error message and no files.
  •  
  • Any ideas on how to get the BIOS file?

I downloaded the uefi sp for this model, and it behaved correctly, but didnt do anything for the pc.

Can someone fix this service patch??

Perhaps I should start a new thread.

HP Recommended

The free utilty- 7Zip- can extract the files from the sp66782. I posted that suggestion a few replies back, but you marked this thread as solved by one reply so I didn't expand on it. Here is the link:

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

@oakman2 wrote:

This is a great, simpler solution, but it doesnt work. I repost:

• This looks promising, but when I execute the sp66782 file, I dont get anything, just an error message. If it unpacks it somewhere, I dont see it, either on desktop or a temp directory. It gives me these error messages,
  •  
  • IHISI: Get support mode  fail in SMI
  • BIOS did not support InsydeFlash
  •  
  • which, since I run this on a non HP laptop, it is not surprizing that I get an error message and no files.
  •  
  • Any ideas on how to get the BIOS file?

I downloaded the uefi sp for this model, and it behaved correctly, but didnt do anything for the pc.

Can someone fix this service patch??

Perhaps I should start a new thread.

You are right. Unfortunately your PC's BIOS is not of a recent enough generation to have the type of softpaq that works with the simpler method. I am going to ask to have your issue escalated.

HP Recommended

Thanks Erico,

I couldnt figure out how to unmark a thread as solved. After I tried the solution, it didnt work.

Yes, I was able to unzip and get the bios the more difficult way, but still no results when I boot with the bios file.bin in the top level directory of a usb stick named HP_TOOLS. Just no response, a blank screen and after a minute I restart and nothing is changed.

Regarding the softpaq not working because my computer is too old, that doen't make sense. I am running it on a non hp computer, which many people would do the same to fix an hp computer. The idea is to generate a usb stick to stick into a broken computer, right? So it is non-sensical that 1) you must run the software on a working hp computer, and 2) whatever type of computer that you are trying to stick it into must have a certain bios, since when you run the program, it is completely detached from the broken computer, and 3) If you want to update the bios on the current hardware that you are running the software on, surely there is an easier method.

Hmm, the problem seems to be when InsydeFLash is run, because I get the same error messages when I run it directly from an unpacked archive of the download sp....exe.  I also checked and I have .net 2.0 to 4.0

Am I missing something? Shouldnt this software work? Or is it crippled to only work on an HP, to create a USB stick. Can I run it on any HP, or must it be on a working HP of the same model? or only on the 'broken' one to update the BIOS?

HP Recommended

@oakman2 wrote:

Thanks Erico,

I couldnt figure out how to unmark a thread as solved. After I tried the solution, it didnt work.

Yes, I was able to unzip and get the bios the more difficult way, but still no results when I boot with the bios file.bin in the top level directory of a usb stick named HP_TOOLS. Just no response, a blank screen and after a minute I restart and nothing is changed.

Regarding the softpaq not working because my computer is too old, that doen't make sense. I am running it on a non hp computer, which many people would do the same to fix an hp computer. The idea is to generate a usb stick to stick into a broken computer, right? So it is non-sensical that 1) you must run the software on a working hp computer, and 2) whatever type of computer that you are trying to stick it into must have a certain bios, since when you run the program, it is completely detached from the broken computer, and 3) If you want to update the bios on the current hardware that you are running the software on, surely there is an easier method. That is, unfortunately, not the case. The more recent InSydeBIOS updates can be run on any PC or notebook to generate a rescue flashdrive. Yours has a BIOS, and softpaqs, that are not of the type that permits that. The Spftpaq is correctly reporting that it can't run because it is not finding a platform that it can run on.

Hmm, the problem seems to be when InsydeFLash is run, because I get the same error messages when I run it directly from an unpacked archive of the download sp....exe.  I also checked and I have .net 2.0 to 4.0 It has nothing to do with having .Net 2.0 or 4.0.

Am I missing something? Shouldnt this software work? Or is it crippled to only work on an HP, to create a USB stick. Can I run it on any HP, or must it be on a working HP of the same model? or only on the 'broken' one to update the BIOS? The HP BIOS InSyde BIOS softpaq will only work on the"broken" notebook. 

Back in my first post I showed an extracted softpaq and provided links (with appropriate cautions) to a third party website that had information on how to workaround the issue you are having. Unless you are willing to pay HP or a PC shop to fix your out of warranty PC, you are really going to have to do some reading to see how it works. If you have a knowlegeable friend or family who is willing to help you through this, that would also be a good option to consider. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.