Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SkinnyDennis Tutor
Tutor
7 0 2
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp Active Pen Spectre x360

Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I just purchase a HP Spectre x360 and the HP Active pen from Best Buy.  Great laptop but I have noticed that I need to press VERY hard before the pen responds.

If I don't press hard, then pen strokes appear very light.   When I cross H's or T's the cross doesn't register.  

If i put the laptop in Tablet mode, then I can get the letters to appear as expected.  But when Writing on the screen in regular "laptop" mode or "Tent mode", the letters appear as "chicken" scratch

I didn't find any settings for adjusting the Pen's Sensitivity in windows or one note.

I would prefer that the pen behave more like a finger.  Just more precise.

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES
Intern
Intern
15 3 10
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've heard better review for the Dell Active Stylus (the one with aluminum top half). It has worked great for me and I heard it has better sensitivity.

0 Kudos
SkinnyDennis Tutor
Tutor
7 0 2
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I really don't want to spend an additional $30 USD for a better.  

I already spent $60 expecting the quality to be on par with the SurfacePro3.  Didn't Microsoft and HP work closely to design the Spectre x360?

0 Kudos
tas70 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 1
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not 100% sure but I don't think the Spectre x360 supports the active pen. I've been looking at it and can't find any reference to the pen in the docs, nor as an accessory for the laptop on HPs sale site. I've asked HP, I'll let you know what they say.
SkinnyDennis Tutor
Tutor
7 0 2
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm positive the x360 supports HP Active Pen.  I am using the HP Active pen on my Spectre x360 right now.

The problem is that it's not as sensitive as I want it to be.

I was hoping for an experience similar to the Surface Pro, however I am noticing that I have to press hard to see all of the pen strokes.

"hard" in this case means the point right before the Spectre Screen begins to flex.  If I apply any more pressure to the Pen, I can see the screen flexing.  I know the screen is durable, but I don't like pressing that hard on my monitor.

HP Sepctre x360 has a Synaptics Active Digitzer, which means Surface Pro Pen will not work on it.  The only other synaptics pen on the market is the Dell Active Stylus.

Does HP really want me to go to the competitor for a solution on their flagship product?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
15 3 10
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@tas70, it is not documented anywhere, which is a curious decision on HP's part, but this screen has an active digitizer.

@SkinnyDennis, I don't work for HP so I won't mind telling you to return your HP stylus if you still can and get the Dell Active Pen (make sure it's the one with an aluminum body) which has better sensitivity and works great with the Spectre during my time with it.
0 Kudos
mdfl Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just got the Dell Stylus mentioned above and it works great with my Spectre-360.  The active digitizer works and is also pressure sensitive for the application I use.  This is a feature that I'm sure would sell a lot more units if they just had it in the specs which I don't understand why it's not mentioned.

lbutton Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! 

I've just bought the Dell pen, and while my screen recognizes its existence, I cannot get it to register any taps or attempts at writing. Was there some kind of software you had to download or activate in order to use the pen? Did the pen work for you straight out of the box?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Gogo2 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How did you get your dell active stylus to work on the HP spectre. My Spectre recognizes the stylus but doesn't let me write or click anything with it

0 Kudos
Erikaclau Tutor
Tutor
7 0 2
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi mdfl, what pen's model did you buy?I just got the hp x360 laptop and I wanna be sure of which pen buy.

Thanks.

Erika

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation