Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BeckyHp Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp Pavilion 15 Notebook PC with Windows 8.1 Not connecting to Virgin Medi Wifi

I've Recently bought this new laptop (Hp Pavilion 15 Notebook Pc)

The wifi connection on it was fine for about the first week but then started to become really hit and miss or would connect and say it was 'limited'.

My laptop finds my wifi connection and occasionally connects to it, but if im trying to connect to it i'll select the network type in the security key and i type it in and it says its not correct. I know that it is correct because its on the bottom of my virgin media hub.

I've been on the phone back and forth with Virgin Media and HP and neither of them can work out why it won't connect.

Things i've been told to do by virgin that didn't work:

-Reset the hub to factory settings

- Switch off the 5G so theres only 2G available

- plug the ethernet cable in to connect to the internet

- Get virgin to check if the port on my laptop is open

- Check Mac Filtering

Things Hp has tried to do:

- simply restart my laptop, check updates

- Check i have the right drivers (as i know there was driver problems with the 8.1 update and having the right drivers to connect to virgin media network) 

- My wireless card in the actual laptop works 

I can still connect to other networks, i have and iphone and can make a hotspot and connect to that so its not that my laptop can't connect to anything at all, and it very occasionally still connects to my internet.

As i said earlier it says the security key is wrong when i enter it but sometimes i'll enter it and it says verfying and connecting- sometimes it connects and sometimes it comes back with the security key isn't correct.

Someone please help! i'm spending a fortune trying to call the companies which both just tell me its the others problem! i've run out of options and all i want to do is simply connect to my wifi!

HELP!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Retired
Retired
2789 2729 152 319
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi BeckyHP,

I so sorry that you are having intermittent wireless connection issues. I will try my best to help you with this. To better assist you, could you please give me some more information. What is the Model Number of your laptop? LINK: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I am sending this Resolving Broadband Internet Connection Problems (Windows 8) as this may help the issue. It will be the same steps for Windows 8.1.

I hope this information helps, please let me know.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Atiaraja Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This EXACT thing is happening to me! & i dont have a clue how to fix the problem! Its really really frustrating me because my Virgin Media wifi is only connecting to my HP laptop sporadicly & most of the time it says my network security key is wrong when i know for a FACT that it is right!! BeckyHP could you please let me know if you have fixed the problem and how? Thankyou so much!!
0 Kudos
Philologus Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This exact same thing is what I have also experienced... TWICE... two different brand new HP 15 computers EACH gave this same problem (although to a differetn carrier than virgin medi).  Calling HP help was an exercise in self-flagellation. Despite the fact that I told them repeatedly that I currently had other devices connected to the very same home wifi network which were connecting and operating perfectly fine, they kept having me check basic things that were obviously not the problem based simply on the fact that other devices were currrently connecting with no problem.  So...

...what IS the solution? 

Frustrated (with just cause),

- Philologus 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2789 2729 152 319
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Philologus,

I am sorry to hear that you are  experiencing this issue. I can understand how frustrating that can be.

I suggest following the steps posted by The Great Deku Tree here for Re: HP Pavilion Notebook-Unable to connect to the internet to see if this resolves your issue.

Best of luck and have a great day!

I worked on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
jonhall88 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This seems to be a common fault (and I use the term fault intentionally) I purchased two of these from Walmart in the USA for my two grandchildren both will not connect.

The laptops find the wi fi network and when asked for the password it states incorrect (this has been checked and is correct) the security settings are matching. It will connect very infequently but as soon as laptop is shut down the same password issue comes back.

Why are HP selling these (runs win 8.1) when there is an obvious fault. I would have taken them straight back but I am in the UK

0 Kudos
Oceanmind Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mine is also having same problem. If hp is selling defective merchandise to consumers they need to address the problem.
0 Kudos
Oceanmind Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't think I should have to restart my computer everytime I try to connect to wi fi
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation