Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
antonio59 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp Pavillion g7-1167dx notebook black screen

I have an Hp Pavillion that i purchased 2 years ago and have a black screen issue. I turn on the power and hear the fan and hard drive but my display is black. I have taken the battery out an drained the power and then rplaced it and it worked acouple of times, but now that does not work at all. I will leave it for a week and then try and turn it on and it will work fine for a few days and then go back to having a black screen. I have changed the ram and that didnt solve anything, so i am looking for some advice. can anyone help. its is weird that it works sometimes and then goes out again.

Model # pavillion g7-1167dx

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16542 952 2191
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Antonio59,

I understand you are having issues with your HP Pavilion g7-1167dx Notebook and black screen displays. Note before starting disconnect all peripheral devices from the notebook before doing a hard reset. Here is a link to a document on black screen troubleshooting.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
BalancingSumo Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue  I have tried the hard reboot and still in not working.  

The fan comes on with A black screen.  Prior to this problem the computer was working great.  After using the computer I put in sleep mode then closed the laptop.  An hour later I opened the laptop and the screen was blank with the fan motor working.  Note : the computer was plugged  via the power adapter.

I pressed the power button to turn off the computer then 30 seconds later I  pressed the power button to turn it back on and still had A blank screen.  

The battery is holding A charge as well as it will recharge using the power cord.

0 Kudos
Associate Dean
Associate Dean
11219 436 813
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@BalancingSumo wrote:

I am having the same issue  I have tried the hard reboot and still in not working.  

The fan comes on with A black screen.  Prior to this problem the computer was working great.  After using the computer I put in sleep mode then closed the laptop.  An hour later I opened the laptop and the screen was blank with the fan motor working.  Note : the computer was plugged  via the power adapter.

I pressed the power button to turn off the computer then 30 seconds later I  pressed the power button to turn it back on and still had A blank screen.  

The battery is holding A charge as well as it will recharge using the power cord.

Did you hookup a ext monitor and see if it gives a diplay on the ext monitor? I am going o error on the side of the Video is going bad if your getting constant black screen and if it doesn't output to the ext monitor then your video is definitly suspect in this case.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16542 952 2191
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey BalancingSumo,

You could try a system restore. This would restore the computer to before when it was working correctly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
mduarte68 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Does anybody have an answer for this issue?

0 Kudos
JT007 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same exact issue now for the last two weeks.

Once the screen goes to sleep, it refuses to wake up.

The machine wakes up, lights are on, fans are going, hard drive makes its noises but the screen remains black.

I have hooked up a HDMI to my TV and laptop and can clearly see the desktop so the machine is working and "on".

The only solution I have found so far is to make windows "hybernate". What this does is save a copy of the current state of applications and shuts down the laptop, so to resume and wake up you simply press the power button for 1 second.

Without having the hybernate option I have to do a hard reset each time in order to get the display to wake up.

It appears to be a malfunction in the screen sleep wakeup code or board module.

I really wish it would function like it used to.

0 Kudos
victoriaflynn92 Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I actually own the same laptop. Back in 2013 I had the same issue but my screen actually never came back on. I've kept it all these years and recently pulled it out and still the same issue but I left it to charge and one night after I got back from work I decided to sit down and actually look at it. I found that if I put my laptop upside down and open it where the bottom come towards me it would turn on. If I left the computer on and then closed it, I was back to the same issue as before. My friends told me that my screen needs to be replaced. HP gave me all these other possiblities of what it could be and or could try to fix it by rebooting but in all reality the screen is the problem. I know that my hard drive and fan and everything else was working but nothing but the screen. I even pulled my hard drive out and put it into another laptop and it was fine.

If you have the time and money you can either replace it yourself or take it in.

From what I've read and I've experienced I would bet money that it's your screen that's the issue.

At this point in time I'm able to use it 3 years after the screen quit on me.

Hope this helps!

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation