cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
roboman01
1 1 0 1
Message 11 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp g62 flashing caps lock

Meh, the caps lock blinks are wrong or something. My mother in-law had the blinking once ever 4-5 seconds. I purchased an AMD cpu for it and it still does the same. I even replaced the memory sticks with no luck.

Now the laptop is junk and I bet it has something to do with the graphics chip on these boards because of faulty design.

Who puts a graphics chip with NO thermopasted on the chip? I guess only HP....

I  will make sure I will inform her not to purchase a HP ever again. This is why I build my own custom computers. Laptops these days are made cheap and at the cost of a dollar they know the laptops only last so long because of overheating.

Elcliff
Level 1
5 5 0 3
Message 12 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

:angry:

It looks like HP just made this machines with AMD processors to frustrate  we the users. Mine is lying down dead and i spend over Months trying to fix it. i did GPU reflow, change processor and anything changeable but it does not work. I am a qualified laptop technician but this one seems to be above me. May be is the scenario in which a Doctor cant cure himself.

0 Kudos
BjBnet
Level 3
18 18 0 18
Message 13 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Figured it out.

Although the Caps Lock LED flashes once stating the CPU is problematic, this is not the case.

I replaced the CPU and still the same problem with the LED flashing once.

Last night I was searching for a fix and accidently came up with a temporary fix myself.

My G62 was on the couch while I browsed with my ACER.

Suddenly, the fan kicked on higher simply because it wasn't getting much ventilation since it was on the couch. Just for fun, because the G62 finally showed a sign of life, I shut it off and turned it back on and TADAAAAA! It worked. Was able to use it until I went to bed then shut it off.

I knew it probably wouldn't boot up again in the morning and sure enough, CapsLock flashing. So to test my theory I put it on the couch again for about 10-15minutes until the fan kicked up again. I shut it off, then turned it back on....WORKS! I shut it off again to leave for work.

Got home, tried the couch thing again and it worked again.

Maybe this will help someone in geting their data backed up.

Maybe HP could finally fix my G62 for figuring this out??? It's out of warranty.

It would seem the cause is most likely a bad solder joint or something but when it heats up the solder expands and connects.

snow580
Level 1
12 11 0 2
Message 14 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Haha that worked for me also! Pretty crazy how you figured that out. Now how can we find that pesky solder joint....
Elcliff
Level 1
5 5 0 3
Message 15 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ Snow580, was tours also going on and off? I will try mine when i get home today. Hope it works for me as well.

0 Kudos
snow580
Level 1
12 11 0 2
Message 16 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mine started out just having no picture after you turned it on. Normally it worked fine after I would restart it but then it just wouldn't and I haven't seen the desktop in over six months.
I just set it on the floor and actually put a small blanket over the keyboard to help heat it up quicker.
I hope it works for you!
lapchaser
4 4 0 1
Message 17 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a G62t. And it does the same thing as you have all described. Screen is blank. Pressing the power button i can hear the fan spinning, and also the DVD drive making a sound.  After that nothing. But caps lock blinks i think probably once every 3 ,4 or 5 seconds, not really counted that.

I will try the couch trick today, !! Laptop order No 26th 2010. I guess it has only one year warranty !! Cannot beleive that a laptop that was purchased for 550$ plus can only live for  2 years with moderate use. I dont mind as long as the issue is memory or video card which can all be replaced, but if its mother board !! then its not worth opening it all the way. 

I will try the heat trick, it it starts working, i can think about converting this to a HTPC !! may be i need to invent a sweater for this. !!

prologau
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 18 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My wife is giggling with joy. That worked for us too. This should be posted to other news groups and blogs etc. Snapshot computer now.. much less weeping and gnashing of teeth . Anybody figure out the root cause.
Highlighted
BjBnet
Level 3
18 18 0 18
Message 19 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the Kudos guys. I'm using the same laptop right now. Let it heat up, sometimes longer (30mins or so) shut it off then on and it works, although most times it's off, on, off, on, off, on...until it gets hot enough I guess. Once in a while it overheats and the caps lock light stops blinking so I let it cool for about 30 seconds reboot it and it works. It did happen once so far that I had no problems for almost a week, then it started acting up again. I'm glad I was able to help a few people out. Kinda nice to get some of your files back huh?

TBH this was my sister's laptop which she gave me to try to fix because Staples told her the hard drive was dead. It wasn't hard to go online and figuring the error code the flashing light was giving. But then again, the error code states that the CPU is FUBAR, which it isn't because I replaced. I just wish HP would step up to the plate and fix this, I'm sure they know what the problem is and I would be more than happy to pay for the shipping to have this fixed.

Anyhow, when I finally got it working I was able to save all of my sister's 49Gb of her family photos (both her kids had tons of photos saved on here).

Keep the stories coming and any new discoveries which may help find the problem. I looked at the board again but the soldering is way too small for me to find and fix. Maybe heating up the GPU with a heat gun might help. I've done a few XBox360s using that method and 1 satellite receiver that wouldn't turn on unless it was heated up...all solder problems. That's it, sorry for the rambling.....

cmr81
Level 1
7 7 0 2
Message 20 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First, thank you for sharing your discovery on how to revive your G62. I've only had mine for about two years and had this happen to me yesterday. Before, I would run into the issue where taking out the battery and holding the power button for 30sec would fix it, but that happened maybe two or three times. So when what I thought was the same issue happened yesterday and that fix did nothing I was stumped, I tried reseating the memory too.

It wasn't until I came across this post and smothered my laptop with a blanket for 20-30min until I could hear the fan running a little harder and it was definitely heated up (although I've always felt the G62 gets WAY too hot to begin with) that it suddenly booted up properly. What sucks is the laptop was already a year old when I bought it "new" in 2011, so technically I only got about two years of the 3 year warranty. I previous laptop lasted close to 7 years strong and it wasn't even a major brand AND it was a "gaming" laptop, but this thing has shown some strange quirks since I got it and only lasted about two years with basic use. Since I have to repeat the temporary fix to get it to boot now, I'm already looking to switch back to a custom built desktop.

Your guess of the reason the couch/blanket fix works due to the subpar soder being able to expand with heat or whatever sounds better than anything I could think of. Is there any way to actually fix this issue besides buying a new machine? I'm assuming that locating the bad soder job would be a tricky one if you're not sure what to look for?

At the very least I'm grateful to be able to backup my files.

Thanks again!

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation